Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Toshiba

Old Sep 9, 2004, 3:20 PM   #1

On Sunday I visited the Liberty Bell and took 2 pictures on my PDR 3310, which I've had for about 2 years. They came out fine. I turned the camera off, wandered around, came back and turned the camera back on to take another picture. Except when I turned it on, the LCD screen remained black. It was not pure black like when it's off; I could see the battery life and number of exposures remaining, and the rest of the screen was like a very dark gray. So the screen itself was working, but it was like the "videocamera" part was not working. I put my eye to the viewfinder and took the picture anyway, but when I tried to review the picture it was pure black. I could scroll backwards to see the previous pictures, but the new picture was just black. I tried my usual tricks- turning on and off, removing the battery and replacing it, etc. But 4 days later it's still doing the same thing. Any ideas on what the problem is? Should I try to get it repaired or should I just get a new camera? Thanks.
mhong33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2004, 11:49 AM   #2

The exact same thing happened to my PDR 3310 on Oct 5,.

Ihad taken several pictures with no problems. Later in the day I turned on the camera and the LCD was blank. I took a picture anyway and it turned out black, just like yours did. There is no info in the Troubleshooting section of the Toshiba handbook. Toshiba wants $19.95 just to TALK to a tech support person. I am afraid there is a major failure in the optical lens that is causing the blank screen and black pictures. Hopefully someone who really knows what causes this will post a reply.

Wish I could help.
ValricoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:58 PM   #3

Hey, guys, I can both sympathize AND empathize. I, too, own a PDR3310 and the exact same thing happened to mine. Before it stopped taking pictures altogether, however, I noticed that it had stopped focusing while in zoom mode.

I heckled and hassled Worldwide Electronics long and loud enough (in addition to sending a scathing email to every Toshiba address I could find online) until they finally agreed to replace my camera under warrany. (By the way, when you phone that service number where the auto attendant compels you to enter your credit card number before a technician will answer is NOT Toshiba. They are no longer involved...not even in the business...that's why there is no contact information on their website.)

You may want to just mail your camera to Toshiba headquarters in Japan and tell the CEO he ought to be ashamed of himself. This may be one of the few insults he'll understand.

In the meantime, start looking at Sonys. At least they are made by Sony. (Toshibas were NOT made by Toshiba. That might have been our first clue as to aftermarket service....IF we had only known!)

Michael
Mike the Banker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 8:46 AM   #4

I have a Sony and the same problem. Even Sony's and Kodak's are having the black LCD problems.

Mike the Banker wrote:
Quote:
Hey, guys, I can both sympathize AND empathize. I, too, own a PDR3310 and the exact same thing happened to mine.
Quote:
In the meantime, start looking at Sonys. At least they are made by Sony. (Toshibas were NOT made by Toshiba. That might have been our first clue as to aftermarket service....IF we had only known!)

Michael
deutchesafrikar12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:12 AM   #5

Try to aim the camera at the fluorescence light and take a picture to see it get back to normal.
tinghich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:40 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but no luck yet. Will

keep on trying. Did you have success doing this?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 7:59 PM   #7

I experienced this same problem today with my camera. Tried the flourescent light remedy, but to no avail. Very frustrating!
h20s7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:33 PM   #8

I've given up on the Toshiba. Bought a Nikon 4100 on eBay

just before Christmas. Will use the PDR 3100 as a paper

weight.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:09 PM   #9

My camera is still doing the same thing -- blank LCD screen and black pict ures! Tried the flourescent light remedy, but still to no avail. Is there any hope? Impossible trying to get in touch with Toshiba techinical support!
h20s7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:49 PM   #10

Did you remember to take the lens cover off? That's if you put the lens cover back on before you walked away.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote