Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Toshiba

Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:50 AM   #1

I'm new to this message board thing, so please bare with me! I have a toshiba pdr-m70 camera that I dearly love , but it will not work!! took pictures with it at work last week--worked fine then--waited about 4 or 5 days to download pictures and it would not even turn on--tried the blowing hot air into it with hair dryer--still nothing-- has new charged battery(just recieved in mail). can not find a phone number for toshiba--can not find a repair center-- please help--grandkids will be home for christmas from germany for first time in 3 yrs--need help please!!
biggamomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:21 AM   #2
Administrator

You may want to try the number in the first message in this forum:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=29

But, chances are, it will cost more to repair than it's worth now if there is a component failure of some kind.

I'd also make sure to try a different memory card in it if you have one, to make sure it isn't bad, and try all switches and buttons in case there is some oxidation under one.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:28 AM   #3

would a memory card going bad keep the camera from coming on and not work at all?this has been my first digital camera and I'm not that smart about them--I bought this one at a pawn shop and it had no manuel or anytthing and I had to go on line to figure out to use it--I just don't think I want a camera that uses aa batteries--daughter has one and the batteries go dead quick and it doesn't hold many pictures at all--if I have to buy another one ehat you recommend? I really do appreciate your help.
biggamomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:50 AM   #4
Administrator

biggamomma wrote:
Quote:
would a memory card going bad keep the camera from coming on and not work at all?this has been my first digital camera and I'm not that smart about them--I bought this one at a pawn shop and it had no manuel or anytthing and I had to go on line to figure out to use it--I just don't think I want a camera that uses aa batteries--daughter has one and the batteries go dead quick and it doesn't hold many pictures at all--if I have to buy another one ehat you recommend? I really do appreciate your help.
Although it's a rare problem, Memory Cards have been known to fail in a way thatshorts out acamera's electronics. So, if you happen to have another one available, it wouldn't hurt to try it. You may also want to see if the camera powers up with no card installed (probably with an error message of some kind letting you know that no card is installed if the card is at fault).

I'd also make sure you don't have any oxidation on the battery contacts that are preventing a good connection. You can find pen style contact cleaners with tips that a specialcontact cleaning solutionflows to for cleaning them. Radio Shack sells these (but be very careful as the contacts are usually delicate).

It's more likely to be a switch contact (mode dial contacts are always suspect), or a electronic component failure of some type.

As far as your battery concerns, if you decide to get a newer model usingAA batteries, you really need high capacity NiMH Batteries versus Alkalines. See this article:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

Battery life varies a lot between models, so whether or not one uses NiMH AA Rechargeables, or a Proprietary Lithium Ion Battery has little to do with how many photos you can take without recharging. How many photos you can take without rechargingbatteries needs to be judged on a camera by camera basis.

As far as which camera,there are MANY models to choose from now. So, you'll need to decide which type of camera fits your needs better. We do have a "Best Cameras" list that breaks down some of the better cameras by category here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

You may also find the "Holiday Wish List" to be useful:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/holid...liday2004.html

Make sure to read the reviews for any model you consider, paying very close attention to the review conclusion section (this is where you'll see things like startup time, autofocus speed and reliability, cycle times between photos, image quality indoors and outdoors, etc. discussed).

BTW, the lens on your PDR-M70 is much brighter than the lens you'll find on most smaller cameras. It's rated at f/2.0 at it's wide angle lens setting (which is twice as bright as most models, which don't start out until f/2.8 ). It's also got lower noise as ISO speeds are increased compared to many newer models (because the photosites for each pixel in the 3MP 1/1.8" CCD are larger than the photosites in most newer non-DSLR models). So, if you have a need to take existing light photos without a flash, I'd make sure to take this into consideration when shopping.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:51 PM   #5

biggamomma:

...this has been my first digital camera and I'm not that smart about them--I bought this one at a pawn shop and it had no manuel or anytthing...
=============================================

Sorry to hear of your camera problems. If you get your PDR-M70 working again, a free, downloadable copy of the Owner's Manual is available at the Toshiba Imaging Systems Group site.
harry12 is offline   Reply With Quote