Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:45 AM   #1

Default Iss solar transit

Hi all, caught my 2nd solar transit of the international space station. Fairly spartan way to go about it but a lot of fun when it works. There's a website that can predict with high precision when and where a transit will happen. Using that info I know down to the 100th of a second when the space station will be 'at the maximum' of the transit. So having the camera aimed for the sun with a safe solar filter I'll use the system time of my phone to count towards the time when I should fire, wired manual remote in the other hand. The used camera (nikon p1000) can do a burst of 7 shots in one second and a typical transit will last anywhere between 0,50 to 1 second (depends on distance). So a good timed burst will determine how many shots will have the station in transit. Got lucky this time with 5 out of 7. Not so much with the sharpness / focus which wasn't spot on. May also have been a shifted solar filter..

Median stack for noise removal and masked the station in from every shot to add the trajectory.
Website with transit information: https://transit-finder.com/
Attached Images

Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:38 AM   #2

Congratulations!
That is a complicated undertaking but you nailed it.
Never heard of the P1000 camera, but looking it up it goes out to 3000mm?

Really cool you can make out the solar panels.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:43 AM   #3

Thank you! It's a fairly unlikely way to try and catch it. I remember well the first time I tried I had no way of knowing how precise the predictions were and of course who says the system time of the phone is spot on? I hardly believed I'd catch it at all, but it wouldn't harm to try. And of course it just timing a burst, the event cannot be seen with the naked eye.. But result was quite amazing. Shot with the nikon p900. It maxes out at 2000mm equivalent but the station was as close as it can be for a solar transit in my country at about 450km. After that I successfully shot a lunar transit and now another solar. The nikon p1000 indeed reaches 3000mm (and has the option for a wired remote) so it's more suitable for distant events, like the original post where the station is about 850km away.
Attached Images