Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Transportation (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/transportation-97/)
-   -   Track side--the real thing (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/transportation-97/track-side-real-thing-167845/)

Wingman Mar 20, 2010 7:03 PM

Track side--the real thing
 
Caught this Norfolk Southern freight train being pulled by an old Conrail locomotive rounding the curve in Crescent Springs, Kentucky earlier this afternoon. If I could get my model layout to look like this...aahh :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Pentax K10D + DA 18-250mm.

Cheers, Jehan.


#1: Check out the engineer in the cab!
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/IMGP4479.jpg

#2: This was a mighty big locomotive set, Love the weathered look to it.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/IMGP4483.jpg

#3: For Ned (Eetu) & Les: Graffiti on the rail cars
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/IMGP4486.jpg

#4: 132 Cars later. . .
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/IMGP4489.jpg

shoturtle Mar 20, 2010 7:05 PM

Like the angle from the 2nd shot, shows the might of the bull dog.

Hards80 Mar 20, 2010 7:13 PM

i agree. i like the first 2, but particularly the 2nd shot. really nice angle Jelpee.

Eetu Mar 20, 2010 8:02 PM

Hi Jehan,

Very good compositon, angle, and all on the photo #2!!! Very well done! You took the picture a great angle, spot on picture!

Many thanks.

Ned

bhammitt Mar 20, 2010 8:51 PM

Great looking set Jehan!! #2 really stands out for me!

Bob

lesmore49 Mar 20, 2010 10:17 PM

Especially like the low angle you used on # 1 and 2. Emphasizes the power and bulk of the locomotive. Very nice pictures...very clear.



How did you get that close...without the Railway 'Bull's ' running you off ?

Graffiti...it's everywhere isn't.

Wingman Mar 20, 2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoturtle (Post 1067938)
Like the angle from the 2nd shot, shows the might of the bull dog.

Thanks Shoturtle. At 22 mm focal length, it really accentuated the lines of the locomotives which in real life are massive. What used to take 5 locomotives lashed together are now handled by just 2 of these beasts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hards80 (Post 1067944)
i agree. i like the first 2, but particularly the 2nd shot. really nice angle Jelpee.

Thanks Dustin. I was drawn to #1 due to various colors. Between the blue of the lead locomotive and the various colors of the containers, I thought it made for a colorful composition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eetu (Post 1067959)
Hi Jehan,

Very good compositon, angle, and all on the photo #2!!! Very well done! You took the picture a great angle, spot on picture!

Many thanks.


Ned

Thanks Ned. We had a beautiful day in northern Kentucky--I figured I'd leave the basement layout and do some real train spotting. Unfortunately, I doubt I'd be able to capture the same angle as #2 on my layout:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhammitt (Post 1067977)
Great looking set Jehan!! #2 really stands out for me!

Bob

Thanks Bob. You need to post more of the NSF trains that run through your part of town as well!


Quote:

Originally Posted by lesmore49 (Post 1068014)
Especially like the low angle you used on # 1 and 2. Emphasizes the power and bulk of the locomotive. Very nice pictures...very clear.



How did you get that close...without the Railway 'Bull's ' running you off ?

Graffiti...it's everywhere isn't.

Thanks Les! Where I train spot is actually a public parking area and is perfect since the tracks curve on each side. Where I park is no more than about 20 ft from the tracks--nice and close. Many times I share the view with Dads and their little boys who also stop there to watch the trains. And almost always, I'll get a wave from the engineers when they see me with my photo gear. The trains travel about 25 MPH though this secton of track, presumably due to the curve. But it makes it ideal for some deliberate composition.

I captured the car carrier with the graffiti with you in mind:D

Bynx Mar 20, 2010 10:39 PM

Here's a project for ya. Take one of your shots and position your scale train in the same position. After taking a pic drop your scale in the real setting.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:22 PM.