Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:54 PM   #1

Default Orange County Choppers Showroom in Newburgh, NY

In case y'all don't know, I actually live in Orange County, NY -- home of the Orange County Choppers. Last weekend we (along with a motorcycle-enthusiast friend) went there and so I took pictures. It was very interesting to say the least.

Still, I don't think I've done transportation photography (I don't really know what I'm doing) so comments especially critiques are welcome. It so happens I was actually trying to learn to use flash so it was a great opportunity, too. Thank you for looking.

#1)

#2)

#3)

#4)

#5)
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:49 AM   #2

I'd say you're picking up on it fast...not surprisingly considering your demonstrated talent with HDR, landscapes, architecture, etc. I live in the Orange County on the Left Coast where there is no shortage of classic, custom, and antique vehicles.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:22 AM   #3

Thanks, Walter. I did have a minute's worth crash course -- there was a motorcycle magazine so I looked at the pictures and thought hey I can do these... But you're right. Stuff I learn in one type of photography I can use in another.

I think your Orange County is more well-known. When I'm in a different part of New York State and say I'm from Orange County I get looks like, "Where's that?" In one case, a woman replied she has a daughter there in the West Coast.

#6) I'm sure you can buy motorcyles there but people were treating it like a museum. Everyone was taking pictures of just about every motorcyle on display.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 4:33 PM   #4

Spectacular and quite diverse style. Bikes look like weird animals. Amazing.
If you don't know what you're doing, then i don't know my own name!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 5:14 PM   #5

Nice shots. Great angle for a chopper....nice and low and looking up. That angle really emphasizes the primary design of a chopper....the extended front forks. Colours really pop...HDR ?

Like the ominous sky.

For a first time effort I'd have to give you an A+++ ...go to the head of the class, take a bow...excellent pictures.

I love taking pictures of vintage bikes, cars, rods, restos, rat rods...old trucks and I hope you continue to shoot vintage and special interest vehicles and post them.

I don't have an EXIF translator...wondering what lens/body you used for these shots ?

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:05 AM   #6

Thanks, Ordo, Les. I don't know motorcycle parts so I didn't really know what to shoot. I could be putting a lot of emphasis on gasoline tanks and then someone would say, "Why am I looking at gasoline tanks?" Or things of that nature...

I used my Tamron 10-20mm with most if not all of the shots taken on the 10mm end. I also used my Mecablitz 48 AF-1 flash. I’m trying to learn flash so my use of it might not be optimal. (I’ve had it for over a year but barely used it.) Still, I think as long as the shot is not overexposed Photoshop and Topaz can do wonders with it.

Only the exterior building shot is HDR. The motorcycles are processed with Topaz. On some, I separated the motorcycle from the background by using Topaz Remask. I then used Topaz Adjust's "psychedelic" preset on the motorcycle and Topaz Detail's "micro-contrast" enhancement on the background before shrinking the image size. (This is the reverse of when I process landscapes -- for landscapes, I use Topaz Detail on the foreground and Topaz Adjust on the sky.)

I like the "psychedelic" preset on shiny surfaces like cars and motorcycles because it brings out even the sometimes invisible reflections. They look kinda grotesque and extreme when initially applied but after shrinking and applying Topaz Denoise on a high setting they look even smoother and shinier.

I didn't expect to be encouraged by your comments. I just edited and added three more.

#7)

#8) They have scooters, too.

#9)
Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:47 PM   #7

Wow! Cool! Great shots. I would love to go there. Thatīs one of my favourite shows on tv.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:11 PM   #8

i went there once your pics are better then some ive seen done by there photographer IMO
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 4:44 PM   #9

Thank you, Daniel, zombz. All the pp techniques I know (that I'm doing right) I learned after joining steves-digicams. I can't say that enough...

#10)