Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:14 PM   #1

Default A380 approach

Don't really know why I am uploading this, but - why not..?? Emirates A380 coming in for landing Auckland Airport a while ago. Man those things are so big. The day was overcast grey and poor for good shooting..
Camera -Sony A6000 with standard kit 55-210mm lens,, had it for about two and a half years now, taken less than 500 shots in total with it (yes, five 'hundred'). It can amaze at times, but why only 500 or less shots - because the poor battery life blows me right away - it's HORRIBLE. I don't know how other owners can claim 300+ shots from one charge as I am scratching to get past 100 with "normal use", yet the camera itself is so good. Every now and then I take it out, charge up the batteries, maybe take a shot or two then put it away again. I mainly use the big Nikons now...

The small sample pic below, doesn't do it any justice, as the real "full-sized" one looks so much better..
Attached Images

Last edited by fewpics; Jun 12, 2018 at 5:36 PM.
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:39 AM   #2

Yes the a6000-6500 have battery issues which are well documented. I've had the a6000 and now the a6500 and I get closer to 200-225. Can't leave it on while walking around too much as the AF keeps working. That said, they are great little cameras. Much easier than my Canon 5D III and 7D II to bring along.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:30 PM   #3

Walter C,
My brother recently bought a 6300. At the time he couldn't quite justify spending the extra bucks on a 6500, so he settled on the 6300 because his logic was more based along the lines of - "less money on the camera, more on the lenses" and I can go along with that as it makes some sort of sense.. After owning many large Nikon DSLR's (like me), his first comments to me (with a frown on his face) were centred around the less than ideal battery life which he's not overly impressed with. I think he's getting a similar number of shots per charge life as I am but he loves the 6300's capabilities. The only comment I could offer with respect to both comments, was - "I told you so".. Battery life, or lack of it, hasn't deterred him though as he still loves it and since then he has spent quite a few dollars on better lenses etc. I've just stuck to the kit lenses, 16-50 & 55-210mm. Even with these two you can still get some great shots..

Fewpics...

Last edited by fewpics; Jun 12, 2018 at 5:34 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:09 PM   #4

G'day mate

Your post raises 2 issues ... your photo itself and battery life ~ which seems a more important issue to you, so I will comment upon it. While the qty of shots available from the battery seems very low, there are some well recognised settings in every camera that demand battery attentions

AFC uses more battery than AFS
AF prefocus uses more battery life than AFS
the EVF uses more battery life than the LCD screen
but attending to all these small things will not double your shot-rate.

If you are seriously worried about the issue - it's a no-brainer to get one or more additional batteries. As one of our 'across the ditch' neighbours I suggest you look into "http://www.betterbatt.com.au/" in Melbourne

I have used them over the years, excellent service and prices ... and they have rechargers that are both 240v & 12v, so you can have 'em with you in the car as you're out & about - therefore a fresh battery is always available

and btw ... your image looks okay too, maybe a tad more contrast and it'll come up nicely

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:00 PM   #5

Hi Ozzie,
I've actually already addressed all of the above settings you suggested - but thanks anyway. For me, it's a real bummer not being able to use a view finder, because with the A6000 I keep bringing the camera up to the eye before realizing I have to use the LCD screen - a result of using DSLR's over the years I guess. I've also got 2 extra Wasabi batteries, which may actually allow me a 'few' more shots than the standard battery. With three batteries you can almost cover yourself all day but turning the camera off after every shot or two or having the auto sleep cut in after a minimum time, just to save power, can and has lost some really great photo opportunities compared to walking around with the camera on and at the ready all day, like with my Nikon D750 or D600 (both gripped), both of which will last up to several months without being turned off (not that I leave them on intentionally but I have forgotten to turn them off occasionally),, but I learned to take all the shortcuts you have to with the A6000 over the first few months of use. Honestly, I don't want to sell it because I still like it and every now 'n' then I take it out for a stroll or to take a few family pics, but I usually don't get upset when it's time to put it back into its bag and away 'til next time...
Even after updating the firmware a few times and trying different charging methods, that did seem to improve things, or so I thought at the time but it seems to hold between 90 - 100% for a bit longer, then drop away just as fast as ever thereafter. I've never actually tried to shot until the battery dies to get an actual total shot count per charge but it seems to average out at about 11 or 12 shots per 10% of power loss, so I'm guessing at an absolute maximum of approx 120 shot til battery death steps in, and that's with all the power saving mentioned above too..

Guess I just can't get my head around it as well as others can.. Thanks for the suggestions etc, neighbour...
Fewpics

Edit a few seconds later,,
[and btw ... your image looks okay too, maybe a tad more contrast and it'll come up nicely]..

That was the very worst day to take pics, almost totally flat grey, no extra clouds, just one big monocloud wall of single shade of light grey, almost white, which usually sucks the life out of any colour, even to the human eye, BUT, I love aircraft, hahaha.. On the original, you can zoom right in and almost see the pilot with his feet up on the instrument panel (I'm kidding of course) - haha...
Cheers

Last edited by fewpics; Jun 15, 2018 at 5:13 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:41 PM   #6

G'day mate

ps- what does DP Review have to say about battery life?

Any better? ... small tweak with PSE's "Levels"
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote