Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:47 PM   #1

Default 2 Night Road Trip Through So Cal.

A friend and I took a quick road trip to the southern sierras to see the snow. This is a rare event here in the dry Southern California area.
We decided to take the long way there and see some places we had never been before.
Our first destination was Randsburg. This was approaching the town on a 20 mile dirt road out of California City.

2. The history

3. Some ruins from around town.

6. It's a one dog town.

This is one of those places locked in a certain time. After the gold was gone it's history is all thats left. The White House bar is a popular destination for the dirt bikers riding out in the desert around California City but that's about all there is, unless your a photographer. After spending a couple of hours in Randsburg we were off to Trona to see the pinnacles.

10. The Pinnacles. Definitely another weird place.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:02 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Fascinating...I love poking around towns like this. Visited a Rhyolite, a ghost town outside of Death Valley a few years ago and enjoyed the visit. Of course your images are of a town still alive, but love the remnants of bygone times.

Great pictorial Mike!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:52 PM   #3

Thanks Jehan.
Yeah it's great to get away for a couple of days and just go looking at stuff.
Can't wait to do it again.

A couple more from the Trona Pinnacles and the rest of the ride to Kernville.

13. The recent rains left a lot of mud and puddles.

Next it was off to see joshua trees with snow on them. The main subject I had in mind to go looking for.

On into Kern Valley. I had to stop and look at the mountains that surround the lake. Calm winds and snow this close to the lake
16. West.

17. South
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:36 AM   #4

Loved the pics, Mike. Thanks for sharing. Who/what was playing at the Opera House?
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2017, 6:13 AM   #5

Great stuff. Looking forward to seeing more of the trip.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:41 PM   #6

Thanks Walter and Bynx.
It appears that Thanksgiving was the last event they had at the Opera House. There's nothing new advertised. Not much happens in Randsburg these days.
After a night of drinks and reviewing our our photo's from the day we decided that we would go to the A. Brown Flour Mill in the morning to get the good light then drive as far up the canyon as we could.

18. The old A. Brown Flour mill. This is one of my favorite structures to photograph and I never get tired of going there.

19. Up river from Kernville, where we're headed. Looking over the north side of the town.

20. Anyone who's been to the Kern River area knows about McNally's. It's about an 18 mile drive up the canyon from photo 19.They have some awesome locally grown steaks but they are closed during the winter, for good reason.

21. Behind the restaurant there's a foot/horse bridge. During the summer the younger folks jump from the bridge or swing from the rope tied to it. Now it's so quite and peaceful.

22. A few more miles up the canyon is South Creek Falls. Handheld at 1/15 sec. Pretty stable hands.

23. We turned around after several more miles and headed back for the cabin. As we got back into Kernville I stopped just below KR3 hydroelectric plant and took this shot. I have spent many days here fishing and swimming. Looks like we'll have plenty of water this summer.

Tomorrow is the ride home.

Last edited by lomitamike; Feb 6, 2017 at 8:39 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:06 AM   #7

Beautiful. Nothing like snow capped mountains.
Your next to last shot with the snow and brown rocks reminds me of a Bev Doolittle print. I started looking for the paint horses.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:35 PM   #8

Thanks Bynx.
We bought a "Prayer for the Wild Things" print from her many years ago. I like Bev's work. I never realized the similarity until you mentioned it. I agree the rocks and snow do resemble a couple of her prints.

24. The drive home. This is looking back down over the towns of Bodfish and Lake Isabella.

25. After leaving the Kern River Valley we entered the Walker Basin and saw a couple of cowboys out surveying the ranch.

26. A California Oak coming out of the Tule fog.

That's it.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:57 PM   #9

What spectacular views. Sure beats high rises and office towers.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:52 PM   #10

Thanks for sharing these, Mike. Makes me want to crank up the RV and hit the road up US 395.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote