Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Tripods and Heads (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/tripods-heads-69/)
-   -   Looking for a travel tripod... (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/tripods-heads-69/looking-travel-tripod-153420/)

cmoy Mar 27, 2009 2:08 PM

Something light and smallthat will hold up my 1D MK II and Canon 28-70mm f/2.8. I was looking at the Manfrotto 718SHB but the max it can hold is very close to my body/lens weight. Is there anything out there that's about the same size/price as the Manfrotto 718SHB but with amax load of more than 5.5 lbs?

Thanks!
Chris

dafiryde Mar 27, 2009 7:44 PM

Gitzo 1541T travel tripod folds down to 16" with head on, but the price will make you baw,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,l ,only $530 , legs only

Dave

cmoy Apr 1, 2009 9:22 PM

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:

Gitzo 1541T travel tripod folds down to 16" with head on, but the price will make you baw,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,l ,only $530 , legs only

Dave
Thanks Dave! That's the one I want but my boss, wife, would kill me if I pulled the trigger :cry:

dafiryde Apr 1, 2009 10:25 PM

cmoy wrote:
Quote:

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:

Dave
Thanks Dave! That's the one I want but my boss, wife, would kill me if I pulled the trigger :cry:
or you have that kind of boss also, i thought i was the only one :G

i also came accross the Benro C169 tripod , folds down to 14" $335 at B&H photo,

Dave

cmoy Apr 1, 2009 10:30 PM

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:

cmoy wrote:
Quote:

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:

Dave
or you have that kind of boss also, i thought i was the only one :G

i also came accross the Benro C169 tripod , folds down to 14" $335 at B&H photo,

Dave

Think the boss will still have a problem with $300+ but I might be able to talk her into it :G 14" and carbon fiber, NICE! Thanks again Dave!

dafiryde Apr 2, 2009 8:21 PM

the only problem though is that i have never heard of, or seen a Benro tripod before, then again i have never seen a good brand name tripod before :G

if you do get a chance to see or can give any feedback on the Benro i would really appreciate it

Dave

cmoy Apr 2, 2009 8:31 PM

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:

the only problem though is that i have never heard of, or seen a Benro tripod before, then again i have never seen a good brand name tripod before :G

if you do get a chance to see or can give any feedback on the Benro i would really appreciate it

Dave
I'll see if I have time to run over to B&H or Adorama this weekend :-)

cmoy Apr 3, 2009 10:25 AM

Hey Dave,

This is a little cheaper and folds down to 14"...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

I'll see if I have time to check it out at B&H. BTW I mentioned to my wife about this tripod :G She said "Sounds good but never heard of the brand" :lol: She mentioned nothing about the price :cool: If it looks good in person I might have the thumbs up from her :G If not I may go with this cheapo...

http://www.adorama.com/SLSPMB.html?s...fo=slik+tripod

Thanks!

Chris

mtngal Apr 3, 2009 2:50 PM

I've seen Benro mentioned elsewhere as a possible alternative - it's supposed to be one of the better made knock-offs. I've never actually seen one, so would be interested in your views, especially if you also look at the Gitzo 1541. My other half hasn't said no to this one, just rolled his eyes and suggested that it would be cheaper to get the best/most appropriatefirst, rather than keep upgrading and end up spending twice as much. I'm still saving up, but hope to buy something in May.

cmoy Apr 3, 2009 3:01 PM

mtngal wrote:
Quote:

I've seen Benro mentioned elsewhere as a possible alternative - it's supposed to be one of the better made knock-offs. I've never actually seen one, so would be interested in your views, especially if you also look at the Gitzo 1541. My other half hasn't said no to this one, just rolled his eyes and suggested that it would be cheaper to get the best/most appropriatefirst, rather than keep upgrading and end up spending twice as much. I'm still saving up, but hope to buy something in May.
I already used that line "get the best/most appropriate first..." :-) That's how I talked her into letting my buy my Gitzo 1227. Won't work this time :cry: I have a feeling I'll end up with the Slik. Guess it won't be too bad since I'll only be using it on vacations. Good luck in May! :-)

dafiryde Apr 3, 2009 9:42 PM

cmoy wrote:

looked at the load rate on it, only 3.5 lbs balanced , becareful,this means if lens weight is heavier than the camera weight, which is common in DSLR's this head wont lock properly,

if you get to see one , check to see if the head is removable

Dave

cmoy Apr 3, 2009 10:09 PM

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:

cmoy wrote:

looked at the load rate on it, only 3.5 lbs balanced , becareful, this means if lens weight is heavier than the camera weight, which is common in DSLR's this head wont lock properly,

if you get to see one , check to see if the head is removable

Dave

That's exactly what I was going to look at :-)

ghpots Apr 12, 2009 12:14 PM

Cmoy -- what tripod did you settle on? I am looking for something light (travel a lot) but needs to support a Canon100-400 which is pretty heavy. I realize it is a trade off but I think if I could not tie it to a day-pack I might not take it at all. Any suggestions? I looked at the Slik Print Pro but the load probably is not enough. The Vortex High Country states it is 5 lbs. - - Any suggestions?

cmoy Apr 12, 2009 12:43 PM

ghpots wrote:
Quote:

Cmoy -- what tripod did you settle on? I am looking for something light (travel a lot) but needs to support a Canon100-400 which is pretty heavy. I realize it is a trade off but I think if I could not tie it to a day-pack I might not take it at all. Any suggestions? I looked at the Slik Print Pro but the load probably is not enough. The Vortex High Country states it is 5 lbs. - - Any suggestions?
Haven't picked anything up yet. Still thinking about the Slik...

http://www.adorama.com/SLSPMB.html?s...fo=slik+tripod

My friend has one and uses it with his 1Ds and 24-70mm with no problems. I would love a carbon fiber but I can't afford it. My Slik Mini Pro III held my 1D MK II and 28-70mm with no problems but it's way too short :( I need trash cans or handrails with this mini tripod. I'll let you guys know what I end up with.

http://fototime.com/48E56221F3E1A4B/standard.jpg

mtngal Apr 14, 2009 2:46 PM

That's a cute table-top! It looks sturdier than mine, though I can't complain about mine - it's a Manfrotto that my other half bought me for Christmas one year, for a fixed lens camera I had. If I'm real careful about where the legs are, I can put my camera with a Viv Series One 105 macro on it. It's taught me to not under-buy when it comes to tripods.

cmoy Apr 14, 2009 3:19 PM

mtngal wrote:
Quote:

That's a cute table-top! It looks sturdier than mine, though I can't complain about mine - it's a Manfrotto that my other half bought me for Christmas one year, for a fixed lens camera I had. If I'm real careful about where the legs are, I can put my camera with a Viv Series One 105 macro on it. It's taught me to not under-buy when it comes to tripods.
The Slik isn't bad. Itworks with the 1D MK II. It's not so good with my 20D and 28-70mm. It tipped over the first day I got my 28-70mm. Left a nice scuff mark in the lens body :cry: I've even tried this tripod with my 1D MK II and 70-200mm :-) Seemed to hold up pretty well but then again I was just testing it out at home.

mtngal Apr 19, 2009 6:54 PM

I spent some time yesterday in a camera store that had both Manfrotto and Gitzo tripods, and I learned quite a bit just by finally handling them, and by reading through an older Gitzo catalog that I got from them.

In the good-news-bad-news category, one of the things that they talked about in the catalog is that it's not just the weight that counts for stability, but focal length does, too. That was disappointing to me as while my camera/lens combination is well within the weight capability of the 1541, the longest lens that I use often is 300mm with all the weight on the front of the lens (not very well balanced). So the recommendation would be to get the Mountaineer 2541, not the 1541. The good news is that I looked at it (they didn't have the 1541) and thought it was quite useable (especially compared to the basalt version of the same lens, which was unacceptably heavy for me).

The really bad news is that I just went to three websites looking for pricing - B&H, Adorama and Really Right Stuff. They have all raised their prices for Gitzo tripods significantly since the last time I checked (2 weeks ago).

I'm definitely going to get CF. I now understand some of the things that Gitzo does that makes them so expensive. If it weren't for the significant increase in price, I'd be planning on getting the 2541 but now I'm back to hoping that the 1541 would be sturdy enough to manage 300 mm, or trying to convince myself that I could be happier with either a heavier or less sturdily built tripod. Or waiting.

How are you doing with your search?

P.S. - Just discovered why the prices have gone up - Gitzo is offering a rebate (from April 1st thru Aug): $40 for tripod legs or head or $100 for legs and tripod. Hmmm - all of a sudden the Gitzo head/leg combination suddenly sounds pretty good, add to that the RRS QR plate and L-bracket. Still expensive, but about what I was expecting to spend originally.

cmoy Apr 22, 2009 12:22 PM

mtngal wrote:
Quote:

I spent some time yesterday in a camera store that had both Manfrotto and Gitzo tripods, and I learned quite a bit just by finally handling them, and by reading through an older Gitzo catalog that I got from them.

In the good-news-bad-news category, one of the things that they talked about in the catalog is that it's not just the weight that counts for stability, but focal length does, too. That was disappointing to me as while my camera/lens combination is well within the weight capability of the 1541, the longest lens that I use often is 300mm with all the weight on the front of the lens (not very well balanced). So the recommendation would be to get the Mountaineer 2541, not the 1541. The good news is that I looked at it (they didn't have the 1541) and thought it was quite useable (especially compared to the basalt version of the same lens, which was unacceptably heavy for me).

The really bad news is that I just went to three websites looking for pricing - B&H, Adorama and Really Right Stuff. They have all raised their prices for Gitzo tripods significantly since the last time I checked (2 weeks ago).

I'm definitely going to get CF. I now understand some of the things that Gitzo does that makes them so expensive. If it weren't for the significant increase in price, I'd be planning on getting the 2541 but now I'm back to hoping that the 1541 would be sturdy enough to manage 300 mm, or trying to convince myself that I could be happier with either a heavier or less sturdily built tripod. Or waiting.

How are you doing with your search?

P.S. - Just discovered why the prices have gone up - Gitzo is offering a rebate (from April 1st thru Aug): $40 for tripod legs or head or $100 for legs and tripod. Hmmm - all of a sudden the Gitzo head/leg combination suddenly sounds pretty good, add to that the RRS QR plate and L-bracket. Still expensive, but about what I was expecting to spend originally.
Have you thought about second hand? I won my Gitzo 1227 on the Bay. Think i got a good deal, under 400. It came with with a cheap Manfrotto ballhead. This was awhile ago so I'm not sure if prices on the Bay has also gone up too.

For now I've stop searching for a travel tripod. I just bought a Markins M10 for my 1227. Can't afford anything else right now :cry: Also, my wife will kill me if I order anything else :G

mtngal Apr 22, 2009 4:05 PM

I hate to admit it, but Adorama has shipped me the 2541 legs and a Gitzo1277 head, couldn't turn down the $100 rebate. I have to wait until Wednesday (payday!)before I can order the RRS lever QR plate and an L-bracket for my camera. so I'll have a brand newtripod and ballhead this weekend, but no plates for it. My other half is secretly enjoying watching me squirm when I think of this, I think.

cmoy Apr 22, 2009 4:19 PM

mtngal wrote:
Quote:

I hate to admit it, but Adorama has shipped me the 2541 legs and a Gitzo1277 head, couldn't turn down the $100 rebate. I have to wait until Wednesday (payday!)before I can order the RRS lever QR plate and an L-bracket for my camera. so I'll have a brand newtripod and ballhead this weekend, but no plates for it. My other half is secretly enjoying watching me squirm when I think of this, I think.
Congrats! :cool: I held off on the RRS plates. It would have cost me almost as much if not more than the M10. Of course I don't have to order the L bracket but I want it :G I also want RRSquick release lever. I'm a bit worried about Markins twist system. I'm worried that I'll not tighten it enough and my camera will come crashing down on the ground or I won't be able to loosen it to release my camera. I'm a bit of a worry wort :G

mtngal Apr 22, 2009 6:33 PM

I'll let you know aboutthe RRS configuration, it looks like I'll be picking them up Friday instead of waiting.

cmoy Apr 22, 2009 7:32 PM

mtngal wrote:
Quote:

I'll let you know about the RRS configuration, it looks like I'll be picking them up Friday instead of waiting.

:cool:

mtngal Apr 24, 2009 11:40 PM

I had a very interesting day today. I finally got to see the Gitzo 1541 tripod (they had it on display at the Really Right Stuff showroom), and I'm glad I didn't get it - its smaller than I had expected. Cute, but small. On the other hand, the 2541 that I bought is plenty big - if I extend the 4th section the camera is higher than my eye level, even with the center post at its lowest level. I can use it reasonably well with the bottom sections completely collapsed, though I do have to bend over a bit, which is probably how I'll use it often.

The Gitzo head will work fine, but the RRS head has a lower profile that I would have preferred. And it has a separate tension adjustment control. On the other hand, the Gitzo head is simpler and the motion is so smooth and dampened, the tension control would have been nice, but I won't miss it much.

I also looked at the macro rails - they are sweet! One thing I thought when I looked at the inexpensive ones at the camera store was that they looked flimsy, and I thought I'd probably bend them at some point. The RRS rails are anything but flimsy - they look very sturdy and as well made as their brackets and other items - beautifully machined.

The L-brackets are wonderful, I'm so glad I went that way. The QR Lever moving parts are so smooth, easy to use.

Some pictures:

Tripod legs - beefy but very light:

http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/v8/p162159205.jpg

Ball head. This is their Series 2 head. It's the same head as the 1278, but lack's the other's QR plate. This one has a simple platform that's easily removed so you can install the RRS QR Lever plate.

http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/v7/p354349190.jpg

The head is higher than I would have liked, but it's sturdy and had no trouble handling my K20 with a heavy macro lens mounted and then tilted at an odd angle. It has a separate control for panning, which I'll probably use more than I had thought before I played with it. Because the panning control is a lever while the ball release is round, it will be easy to keep them straight.

Here's the QR plate and the L bracket mounted on the K20. You can see the part that wraps around the side of the camera, and you can see the grooves they use for mounting onto the QR plate. The opening on the side is big enough to allow one to open the side door, so you can plug in a wired remote without removing the bracket.

http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/v8/p379104980.jpg

The L-brackets are custom made for the camera model. They have a bit of a lip front and back, so the camera can't rotate (like they can with flat brackets that some other systems have (the inexpensive Giotto head I bought for a monopod drives me nuts doing that).

http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/v7/p365323975.jpg

Here's a picture of the back - notice that there's two different center line indicators. That's because you can slide the bracket over, leaving a space between the bracket and the side of the camera. The lever sits close to the plate - it's nicely tucked in so it's less likely to catch on things.

That's because you can mount the camera like this:

http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p172754145.jpg

And you can adjust the bracket so that there's a space between the tripod head and the camera's side - you can still use a wired remote with the camera sideways like this. I thought that was very clever.

There's other neat features with the lever system (open all the way and you can lift the camera straight off. Half-closed and the camera won't fall off, but you can slide the bracket on the plate. Closed and the bracket is locked in place). All these little things, and the beautiful machining/feel of the parts make me SO glad I decided to go with RRS. I can't wait to put it to more of a test than photographing pine trees, weeds and dandelions in my front yard.

cmoy Apr 25, 2009 9:22 AM

Very NICE setup! :cool: :cool: After seeing your photos I want really want the RRS plates and lever. Sweet! :cool: :cool: You L bracket looks GREAT! :cool: :cool: One day I'll upgrade to RRS :-) Enjoy your new tripod! :-)

mtngal Apr 25, 2009 9:41 AM

The other thing is that the people at RRS are very nice and helpful, both on the phone and in person. The girl who helped me took the time to explain how the plate system and brackets work, how to mount it on my tripod head, how to use the various features. I can't come up with enough superlatives for the company.

And good luck with your quest for a travel tripod. What I ended up buying isn't exactly a "travel" set-up, but since it's my only tripod it seems to be the best combination of stability and light weight I could come up with.

cmoy Sep 2, 2009 9:05 AM

Hey guys,

My wife and I was at Adorama yesterday and saw some very small carbon fiber tripods by Vanguard. I saw two I like :cool2: The first is the ALT 225 CT for $220. It folds down to 13 5/8"! It's a bit short though, max height is 41 3/4". Max load is 6.6 lbs. The second is the ALT 255 CT at $250. This one folds down to 15 1/2" and max height is 49 1/4". Max load is 8.8 lbs. I'd like to use my Markins M10 ballhead on this setup. The heaviest I'd put on this is about 5.5 lbs, 1D MK II and 28-70mm f/2.8. My boss, wife, gave me the :cool2: so it's a go :D Only problem, I've never heard of Vanguard :confused: Anyone here have experience with them? Are they worth the money? Thanks guys!

Chris

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'd be using it for sunset/night shots.

dg27 Sep 2, 2009 2:34 PM

travel tripod in the $250 range?

Been following string and I'm looking for something in the $250 range. I looked at the ALT 255 CT, but ideally I'd like something with a max height closer to 72 inches. Am I dreaming? :eek:

It seems most of those I find are well over $400 or cheap enough for me to question in terms of quality, i.e, $59.99.

Also, forgive the newbie question, but when the specs indicate that a tripod is a "leg set" does that mean I must buy a separate ball head? I will use this with a Canon Rebel XTi, largest/heaviest lens is a Sigma 18-200 (1.3 lbs). I shoot almost exclusively landscape and would like something simple and affordable. Any advice would be appreciated!--dg

StevieDgpt Sep 2, 2009 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dg27 (Post 997458)
Been following string and I'm looking for something in the $250 range. I looked at the ALT 255 CT, but ideally I'd like something with a max height closer to 72 inches. Am I dreaming? :eek:

It seems most of those I find are well over $400 or cheap enough for me to question in terms of quality, i.e, $59.99.

Also, forgive the newbie question, but when the specs indicate that a tripod is a "leg set" does that mean I must buy a separate ball head? I will use this with a Canon Rebel XTi, largest/heaviest lens is a Sigma 18-200 (1.3 lbs). I shoot almost exclusively landscape and would like something simple and affordable. Any advice would be appreciated!--dg

Max height of 6' (72"), why?

Are you referring to the height of the legs without the center column extended, or with the center column extended?

How tall are you?

Just for a point of reference, the Manfrotto 055xPRO without the center column extended and legs sent at the narrowest spread has a max height of 62". That height is just about the correct height for a person nearly 6' tall (me) when a full size camera (Sony A700) is mounted on decent head (Manfrotto 410). Obviously the center column can be extended to increase the height for overhead shooting if desired.

Yes, leg sets means there is no standard head. "pro" and serious amateur gear is generally sold this way. Primarily for two reasons: A) ability to swap heads between a single leg set for photographers that desire to use both ball and pan heads for different tasks B) Heads can wearout much more rapidly than legs, replaceable heads are critical for the active photographer.

There are those who love their ball heads for every type of shooting and will disagree with the following statement:

For landscape usage a pan head is primarily recommended as you can easily duplicate settings AND the ability to control action in a single direction for critical shots.

Personally I am shooting with a Geared Head:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ared_Head.html

Gear Heads are pan heads with micro gear drives for ease of repeating previous settings.

Here is a Manfrotto combination that might interest you:

The 055XProB leg set has an adjustable center column that will extend horizontally for macro or difficult application shots. (Think extending the camera over the edge of the cliff).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gs_Black_.html

The leg set alone is $180

Dropping down in size to the plain 055 leg set (without horizontal feature to the center colum)

drops the price down to $164

A pretty solid pan head

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Tilt_Head.html

is $73

$253 is pretty close to your budget.

is a better pan head at $140. The weight capacity rating is DOUBLE of the less expensive head.

My Manfrotto gear head is holding a Sony A700 with the largest/heaviest lens being the Sony 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 G SSM lens. Weights are 770g for the camera with battery and 800g for the lens (or about 3.5 total lbs). The head is rated for 11 lbs. Absolutely no problems handling my camera and lens combination.

PS: Whatever you do, don't buy a head without Quick Release (QR). A QR plate allows the camera to mount and dismount from the head without having to unscrew the camera from the head. Saves a lot of time and aggrivation.

StevieDgpt Sep 2, 2009 7:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmoy (Post 997354)
Hey guys,

My wife and I was at Adorama yesterday and saw some very small carbon fiber tripods by Vanguard. I saw two I like :cool2: The first is the ALT 225 CT for $220. It folds down to 13 5/8"! It's a bit short though, max height is 41 3/4". Max load is 6.6 lbs. The second is the ALT 255 CT at $250. This one folds down to 15 1/2" and max height is 49 1/4". Max load is 8.8 lbs. I'd like to use my Markins M10 ballhead on this setup. The heaviest I'd put on this is about 5.5 lbs, 1D MK II and 28-70mm f/2.8. My boss, wife, gave me the :cool2: so it's a go :D Only problem, I've never heard of Vanguard :confused: Anyone here have experience with them? Are they worth the money? Thanks guys!

Chris

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'd be using it for sunset/night shots.

Vanguard? Nope.

Easily found the company's website.
http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/home.html

They claim they have been in business 24 years.

Their gear looks like a lot of the other gear on the market (Induro, Benbo etc) which means it is most likely from the same factory trying to copy the Gitzo, Linhoff etc like everybody else.

Doesn't mean these are bad companies per se, just that innovation is not their strong suit and their goal is to offer a lower cost version of long established product lines through mass production methods and cutting a few corners here and there.

Personally I would stick with Manfrotto, Slik or Velbron for inexpensive gear, though I had a chance to play with a Giottos rig that seemed stable and well put together.

dg27 Sep 2, 2009 9:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDgpt (Post 997523)
Max height of 6' (72"), why?

Are you referring to the height of the legs without the center column extended, or with the center column extended?

For landscape usage a pan head is primarily recommended as you can easily duplicate settings AND the ability to control action in a single direction for critical shots.

Yes--my mistake: I was not taking into account the center column (sorry). Since I will use this primarily for travel, I'm leaning toward those that are somewhat shorter when folded, like the 055XB you recommended (even shorter still would be better).

In terms of the heads you recommended, is the primary advantage of the 808RC4 over the 804RC2 the load capacity?

And btw, the last tripod I had was many years ago when I shot film and that was definitely a tilt pan head, which I prefer to the ball--thanks for the reminder.

dg

StevieDgpt Sep 3, 2009 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dg27 (Post 997562)
Yes--my mistake: I was not taking into account the center column (sorry). Since I will use this primarily for travel, I'm leaning toward those that are somewhat shorter when folded, like the 055XB you recommended (even shorter still would be better).

In terms of the heads you recommended, is the primary advantage of the 808RC4 over the 804RC2 the load capacity?

And btw, the last tripod I had was many years ago when I shot film and that was definitely a tilt pan head, which I prefer to the ball--thanks for the reminder.

dg

The Manfrotto 190 series is shorter (both in standard height without center column extended and the completely folded length) and less expensive. For a true travel tripod, sometimes you have to give up height for need.

The 808RC4 uses the RC4 QR plate, while the 804RC2 uses the RC2 QR plate. Can't interchange the RC4 plate for use on the 804. The RC4 plate is physically bigger, meaning more surface area for the rubber mount of the plate to touch to the camera and firmly hold the camera in place. People do use the RC2 from various Manfrotto heads with full sized cameras with few complaints. That said, the larger surface area of the RC4 will always provide a surer grip.

Load capacity of the 808 is relative to the size of the friction (contact) plates of the various joints versus the 804. In theory the 808 will last longer than the 804 because the moving parts (contact plates at the joints) will not be as quick to wear out due to use with a heavy rig, but since most people don't buy a head to last their life time the long term durability of the units may not be an issue.

dg27 Sep 3, 2009 4:37 PM

Thanks for your reply. I looked at a few of these today. Since I'd like the tripod and head to travel better (fold up smaller and weigh less), I'm considering the 109XPROB

and the 804RC2:

Would this be an OK combo?

It's not for constant use, probably 40 days per year.

StevieDgpt Sep 3, 2009 5:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dg27 (Post 997772)
Thanks for your reply. I looked at a few of these today. Since I'd like the tripod and head to travel better (fold up smaller and weigh less), I'm considering the 109XPROB

and the 804RC2:

Would this be an OK combo?

It's not for constant use, probably 40 days per year.

Looks like a good combination, especially for your limited use. you could drop down to either of the more basic 190 tripods

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ml#accessories

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

and save a few $.

The XB lacks the horizontal feature to the center column, but the center column can reverse such that the tripod can be used for ground level macro shots.

The XDB is just a basic leg set (lacks both the horizontal feature and the ground level {low angle adapter} of the other tripod)

dg27 Sep 3, 2009 6:02 PM

Thanlks for the suggestions. If I did go less $$, I'd opt for the type that do not have wings nuts z(XB).

Think I'll have to see it in person to understand how to reverse the center column; but thinking about it I may want to stick with one that has the horizontal feature, since I do shootfoliage etc. that's on the ground at times. One spec that I don't get is the "minimum height." For the 190XPROB is says: "3.3" (8.5 cm) [w/center column in horizontal position]."

Is this with the legs pushed all the way in the the horizontal plate pointed all the way down?

dg

StevieDgpt Sep 3, 2009 6:56 PM

the 3.3" minimum is with the center column reversered and legs spread widest/shortest length.

Reversing the center column is pretty easy. There is a spring loaded button thingy on the end of the column to keep the column from being removed through the center mount. Depress the button and the column slides through the center mount. Reverse the direction and slide the column back through the center mount.

dg27 Sep 3, 2009 7:14 PM

oh..OK...that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.--dg

dg27 Sep 7, 2009 8:11 PM

Manfrotto 804RC2: centering on 190XPROB?

Update: After looking at several legs sets and heads, I opted for the Manfrotto 190XPROB legs and the 804RC2 head. Very happy with them: I think the builds are great--very solid. I know I could have gone a little lighter, but I think this will work. Thanks to everyone who weighed in.

One question (at the definite risk of sounding very anal): Is there a trick to mounting the 804RC2 so that the "0"'s on the panning adjustment are @ 6 and 12 o'clock? I tried positioning it differently (like with one of the zeroes at 9 o'clock, etc., when I start screwing it down to the mounting plate, but it consistently ends up with the zeros at 5 and 11 o'clock. Minor point, but I'm curious if thereis a way around this...:icon_rolleyes:

dg

StevieDgpt Sep 8, 2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dg27 (Post 998931)
One question (at the definite risk of sounding very anal): Is there a trick to mounting the 804RC2 so that the "0"'s on the panning adjustment are @ 6 and 12 o'clock? I tried positioning it differently (like with one of the zeroes at 9 o'clock, etc., when I start screwing it down to the mounting plate, but it consistently ends up with the zeros at 5 and 11 o'clock. Minor point, but I'm curious if thereis a way around this...:icon_rolleyes:

dg

Good question.

I don't know if there is an answer, personally I think it is the luck of the install.

cmoy Sep 16, 2009 11:04 AM

Finally picked up a travel tripod. Took me long enough :D I ended up buying a Benro C-068M8 carbon fiber tripod. It's tiny when folded down, just over 14"! Haven't had a chance to try it out except at home. Seems to hold up pretty well to my wife's 30D with the following lenses...

Canon 10-22
Sigma 12-24
Canon 15 Fisheye
Canon 24-105
Canon 28-70

The ballhead is a bit weak for my 1D MK II and 28-70. I might be able to get away with the 12-24 but I'll eventually pick up a better ballhead like the Markins Q3. Hanging my camera bag on the hook definitely helps with either bodies. I'll take some photo of it when I have time.

Thanks everyone! :)
Chris

cmoy Jan 31, 2011 4:52 PM

Since the last time replied to this thread I haven't used the tripod :eek: 2 reasons...

1. Benro's ballhead can't hold my 1D MK II
2. Wife wouldn't allow me to buy a new ballhead for it.

Well guys, I picked up a new BH :D Got myself a Photo Clam PC-33NS. Holds up my 1Ds MK II with the 28-70. I can even tilt my lens down :D I wouldn't use the center column. It's not very steady with 5+ lbs of gear on it. Even with my wife's 5D and 24-105 I wouldn't raise the center column :eek: It's much better with the the center column down. I've been mostly playing around with it at home since the weather has been nasty. I was able to get a night shot over the weekend. I'm pretty happy with the photo. I need to take some more test shots or plan a vacation so I'm forced to use thet tripod :D BTW My main use for this tripod would be for night shots of cityscapes on vacation.

Folds down to 14 1/2"
http://www.christophergmoy.com/Camer...74_2LPu6-L.jpg

http://www.christophergmoy.com/Camer...62_VjLoh-L.jpg

http://www.christophergmoy.com/Camer...5_j4BL2-XL.jpg

1Ds MK II
28-70mm @ 28
f/13
10 sec
ISO 100
Remote switch
Mirror lockup

http://www.christophergmoy.com/New-Y...5_VQBxd-XL.jpg