Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (
-   Tripods and Heads (
-   -   What tripod head for making precise adjustments to get camer (

dalemccl Dec 25, 2007 2:53 PM

With my DSLR and tripod, I currently have a Manfrotto 322rc grip-type head where you squeeze the trigger and move the head in any direction. While that makes for quick, easy, one-handed changes of direction and angle, it doesn't allow for precise changes. When I needmake sure the camera is level, there are two problems:

1. I can't make precise adjustments with the grip handle - it moves too much, even when I try to move it just a little.

2. The grip has a round bubble level on the top surface, but with the camera's viewfinder at eye level (when I am standing), I can't see the level without standing on a chair or something to get up above the level and look down.

What type of head allows precise adjustments, has an easy-to-see bubble-level, but is still quick to use when you need to changethe angle or view in non-precise way?

jerwilhelm Mar 10, 2008 7:22 AM

It sounds like a geared head may be what you are looking for. This will allow very precise adjustments. However, they don't typically allow for quick adjustments. Check out the Manfrotto 405 Geared Head, or the 410 Junior Geared Head. However these heads are not cheap!

To get the quick adjustment you may need a 3-way, which allows more precise movement than a ball head but not as precise as a geared head.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:17 PM.