Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:58 PM   #1

I was looking online at walking staffs that can double as camera monopods, specifically the Leki Sierra staff. Will I be able to put a head with quick release on this? What exactly is it that they mean by "built in camera mount system"?

I really need something that is more geared as ahiking staff with the shock absorbtionbut also hasa way to mount my camera on it quickly for monopod duties while I'm hiking, as opposed to a real monopod. Its going to be used mostly for mountain trail hiking and off trail hiking, and a little bit of regular, around town walking.

Any suggestions or setups you have used that would be really good for this? I pack a Nikon D50 w/ Tamron 18-200 lens.
cyancey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2006, 8:55 PM   #2

Have never used this one, but go to www.leevalley.com and search for walking stick. They have one that has a camera mount. It's very inexpensive, so not sure if the quality is there or not.
yendikeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 9:45 AM   #3

Leki Siera actually has a "y" adaptor that scres on the top of the hiking stick that you can use to steady your camera by setting the lens in it.
B&H also has a large selection of monopods ,bipods and such gear
Digital Cameras, Camcorders, TV's, Home Theater, DVD Players, Apple iPods
KennJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 4:04 PM   #4

I ended up buying this [url=http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008 000&productId=48004886&parent_category_rn= 11770843&vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC][url=http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008 000&productId=48004886&parent_category_rn= 11770843&vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC[/url]]. I really wanted something that was a hiking staff first, and monopod second. The anti shock was important to me, and the camera mount is just a screw on top under the cork ball that you screw the staff into the bottom of your camera.

My question is, do the tripod heads mount on the monopod using the same size screw as the cameras? Could I get a head and permanently attach it to my staff so that I can have the quick release?

I can probably deal with just having to screw the staff into the camera, but I'd like a faster way to mount so that I can have the camera bagged on my hip and then whip it out and mount it quickly for wildlife. I do a fair bit of climbing while I hike, which is why I want to bag the camera rahter than just leave it on my staff.
cyancey76 is offline   Reply With Quote