Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:45 AM   #1

I would love to order the ground pod and ball head from really right stuff but the cost plus shipping is out of my budget reach. I have an excellent Monfrotto tripod and joystick head for the D200, but the center column limits low level photography. It is also really heavy to carry around with the D200 and a medium range lens. Saw 2 interesting items on this site
Code:
http://www.trek-tech.com/products_hiking/index.php
TrekPod II
T'Pod
but have no idea of quality or suitability for the Nikon 200. Overseas shipping is very expensive so I would like some user input before placing an order.
redsea2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:11 PM   #2

Doesn't your Manfrotto center column turn upside down? (suspending the camera below the pod),,, or you can get short center columns that let the legs splay out and the column is only a few inches long, so it doesn't interfer with the ground.
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:22 PM   #3

[align=left]I am trying to order a short column from the local Manfrotto agent since shipping costs more than the column. I found that trying to focus with the camera suspended under the pod is very uncomforable and difficult, at least for me. I would like to cut down the weight when I am carrying the tripod and camera backpack on the beach or in the mountains.
[/align]
Old Oct 25, 2006, 5:33 PM   #4

I understand the problem with suspended camera, I have a Manfrotto also, and don't look forward to the situations that would require the "underslung" option. I bought one of these, for my backpacking needs. It is not as strong and stable as the Manfrotto, but seems to work pretty well with moderate lenses (Nikon 55-200 or so)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:55 PM   #5

[align=left]Thank you for your advice and I will check with my local photo shop about availability of this tripod in Israel.
[/align]