Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Feb 22, 2007, 3:24 AM   #1

I'll be blunt. I just bought a powershot A630. I'm in the market for a good tripod (I prefer taking stills of lanscapes). My budget is currently limited (preferably under $50) as I'm a college student.

I have been looking through many tripods, and from what I hear, for cheaper tripods, velbon's are the ticket. I'll probably pick one up off of amazon as I have a couple of gift cards, and was looking through velbon's cheaper offerings on amazon (IE which would be the best for a cheaper pod of the lot):

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yq33bs
(reg url was too long and href wont work; this will show the link before visiting it if you're paranoid).

I am also looking for a good bag for the A630, something fairly sturdy as I will be carrying it around on me 24-7 no doubt. Editing and photoshop are my fortays, buying a decent tripod is not .

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Kutza
Kutza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2007, 3:59 PM   #2

What you're really looking for in a tripod is rigidity, setup convenience, and storage convenience, since all tripods are pretty much the same in all other respects.

The only way to find one that will suit you best is to go to a store that has a good selection, and try them.

But shopping at a storefront and then buying on-line is rude. If you take advantage of the service you receive at a store, you should purchase at that store.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:21 PM   #3

TCav wrote:
Quote:
What you're really looking for in a tripod is rigidity, setup convenience, and storage convenience, since all tripods are pretty much the same in all other respects....
A quibble: stability is what you want, not rigidity. Many rigid object vibrate - sometimes in nasty ways.

Weight is another thing that is different between tripods. Given that Kutza is trying to be cheap, heavy is something that is desirerable since that is the only real way to go cheap. Weight also adds to the stability of the tripod.

Another thing to stay away from is a crank-up center post. It serves no real practical use (height is the easiest thing to adjust) and it adds cost.

TCav wrote:
Quote:
... The only way to find one that will suit you best is to go to a store that has a good selection, and try them.

But shopping at a storefront and then buying on-line is rude. If you take advantage of the service you receive at a store, you should purchase at that store.
Agree about hands on shopping - I've bought my two digital cameras without handling them, but I wouldn't buy a tripod that way.

I somewhat agree with not being rude to real shops, but only if their price is not a rude amount higher than B&H's - and remember to count shipping.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:36 PM   #4

Thanks for your help.

There's a few places down here I plan on checking out, and honestly, I would rather buy from a storefront provided they have good prices.

There also is a local Walmart, and I have no qualms about checking out a product there and buying it somewhere else, but that's another story...

And Bill, on a side note, is that a Kodak DC in your picture? My first digital was a Kodak DC215 Zoom .
Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:56 PM   #5

Kutza wrote:
Quote:
... And Bill, on a side note, is that a Kodak DC in your picture? My first digital was a Kodak DC215 Zoom .
Nope, that is a Casio 3000 - the first consumer 3Mpixel camera (beat Canon by one day). I'm using a KonicaMinolta 5D now. Just say 5D and leave the KM off if you want to impress some folks.

Is your avatar meant to represent Africa, esp East Africa?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:05 PM   #6

Odd, it looks like a clone, I've attached an image of the DC.

Haha. As for my sig, it's actually yoshi from super mario bros. I've made a bunch of sigs and the like, but this is one of my favorites that I originally made for the nintendo forums.
Attached Images