Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:19 AM   #1

Hello Folks,

I took my new Tamron 200-500mm for a test drive on the week-end and was somewhat under whelmed with the results. Part of my problem is that my tripod is not stable enough for a lens of this size. I've started looking for a potential replacement tripod and notice that there is a wide selection to choose from. I'd really like to hear your opinions on the tripods that you folks have.
Thanks for your help.

--FrankD

FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:04 AM   #2

manfrotto 3221 wn tripod

with a manfrotto 322rc2 grip action ball head

don't settle for less
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:04 PM   #3

I have the Bogen Manfrotto 3021B PRO with the 486RC2 ball mount. I also have the 322RC2 grip head, but do not like it as much as the 486RC2. The 3021B PRO allows you to set the center column in horizontal position for table top macro; if you don't need that feature, the 3021B is cheaper. B&H has always been the cheapest place when I looked for Bogen Manfrotto gear. The RC2 designates a removeable camear attachment. The beauty of this is that you can use the same grip for several cameras and have adapter already on the camera. Their video heads are also available with the RC2 so you can get more flexibility.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:43 PM   #4

If your problem is shake from trying to press the shutter try using a remote shutter release or the camera's self timer. Also, remember to turn of the antishake when using a tripod
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:39 PM   #5

Thanks for the info everybody. I'll check it out.

--FrankD
Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:43 AM   #6

Why turn off the antishake when using a tripod ? I know that the manual instructs you to do it but why ? :?

Roger
Ropipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:50 AM   #7

Well MinoltaNut you have excellent taste but that's a little more than I wanted to spend.
The products suggested by Cope look like a good compromise between price and performance. I ended up ordering the Manfrotto 055CLB tripod and the Manfrotto 488RC2 head. The 055B PRO tripod (same as your 3021B PRO) was very appealing but one of the reviews I read suggested that the ability to use the centre column vertically and horizontally could affect the overall rigidity. Since this is a feature I've never had before it won't be something I'll miss.
This will be my first experience with a ball head. They seem to be very popular compared to the three-way head that I've always used.
Ropipo, there seems to be a suggestion that enabling SSS when on a tripod can cause the camera to get confused. I've certainly heard some unexpected noises from mine. See this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ghlight=frankd

Once again, thanks everybody for your advice.
--FrankD

Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:44 PM   #8

THATS A GOOD CHOICE..I'M TALL SO I NEED THE 3221..LOL

AS FOR THE BALL HEAD...IF I KNEW YOU WANTED TO GO THAT WAY I WOULD HAVE POINTED YOU TO A

DAVIS & SANFORD

CENTERBALL 38F

IT IS ONE SMOOOOTH BALL HEAD
Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:50 PM   #9

I ADDED THE BASE FOR TABLE TOP WORK
Attached Images

Old May 21, 2007, 5:25 PM   #10

The fact that a tripod is rated to support a weight greater than your camera does not mean that it is stable enough. I set up on a windy viewpoint to get some Utah sandstone scenery. It was my first use of my new light ultraportable tripod. I was dismayed to see the tripod swaying noticeably in the wind. That was when the penny dropped about why some tripods have hooks at the bottom of the center shaft. The hook is there for two reasons - one is to hang a weight from it to stabilize the tripod, the other is that the manufacturer believes the tripod is strong enough to support a hanging weight.

My advice would be to get the cheapest lightest tripod that comes with a hook.
jackkessler is offline   Reply With Quote