Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Apr 7, 2007, 3:21 PM   #1

I've been playing with the gitzo explorer g2220 at my local camera shop and am 90% sure I'm going to get the lighter/taller 6X carbon version - gt2540ex (once my Lotto number finally hits that is).3 questions. 1) this modelhas 4 leg sections which many folks on this and other forums say is a no no but I really want to save the extra 4.5 inches for backpackability. Will hanging my camera bag (5# or so) off the column hook add sufficient extra stability to offset the decreased stability from the skinny 4th leg sections? 2) Given that thereare no set points for the legs (can be adjusted at any angle from 0 to 90 degrees) howcan you be sure that all 3 legs are set at the same angle? On the flat surface of the store floor I just adjusted until the spirit level on thetop was centered but in the field with uneven ground a level base will probably mean legs open at different angles. Any problem with that? 3) Any suggestions for a ball head? Gitzo recommends one of their off center ball heads for the explorer but I'm not crazy about them. I really like the mid size Really Right Stuff (BH-40) and I seemed to have sufficient flexibility withthe centered ball head I was playing with at the shop. I have a Nikon D80 w/ largest lens of 70-300 f4.5 and can't see going any more high end than say the D200 so I don't /won't need a head that holds more than the 18# rating for the RRS. 2 weeks of reading these posts has gotten me this far and I appreciate your help in getting me those last few yards!
matcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2007, 6:54 PM   #2

matcam wrote:
Quote:
... 2) Given that thereare no set points for the legs (can be adjusted at any angle from 0 to 90 degrees) howcan you be sure that all 3 legs are set at the same angle? On the flat surface of the store floor I just adjusted until the spirit level on thetop was centered but in the field with uneven ground a level base will probably mean legs open at different angles. Any problem with that? ...
I have the "cast iron" version of that tripod and it is real easy to level. Just set two legs in the ground and ding with the angle and length of the third. Then clamp the shoulders. Easier to do than to describe.

There is no reason for all three legs to be at the same angle - all that matters is that it is in a stable possition and the level reads right.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote