Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Nov 10, 2007, 6:28 AM   #1

I am searching for a truly compact mini tripod. I bought one 30 years ago in Tokyo that supported my Nikomat FT2. Its folded size is only 8 inches, and extends to 42 inches in 8 sections that lock with a ball-bearing mechanism. Brand name was King. Had a crown as its logo.

Alas, one of the bearings has given, and its sturdiness is quite questionable now. I broke my C2020 a few years ago when a leg gave, and it fell forward. Gingerly, I use it with my C5050, but realize I am skating on thin ice.

So, I bought a Sunpack 620-005B, misreading the minimum height as the folded height. It is 13.77 inches folded, as are most all I have found online.

Is there anything that can get down to single digits when folded? And still extend a reasonable length? Mostly photos of me and the wife using a remote. Nothing fancy.

Here is a shot of the King vs the SunPack
Attached Images

pws442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2007, 3:49 PM   #2

Quick check at Adorama shows a Velbon BR-5 which folds to a bit over 8". The load rating is not much, but should be adequate for your camera if you aren't using add-n lenses or other accessories.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:00 AM   #3

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
Quick check at Adorama shows a Velbon BR-5 which folds to a bit over 8". The load rating is not much, but should be adequate for your camera if you aren't using add-n lenses or other accessories.

brian
I found that itfolds to 14.2 inches usingthis link: http://www.adorama.com/VNBR5SG.html?...&item_no=2

The Sunpak is half an inch less, but still 5+ inches more than my un-trusty old King! Thanks for the thought anyway.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 6:31 PM   #4

Must have been looking at something else. Since I have also been looking for something easy to carry, I checked B&H and found this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...od_Black_.html

Not sure if it would be rugged enough for my purposes, though.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 5:42 AM   #5

Thanks, it certainly looks like a clone of mine, just with an additional 2 inches.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:49 PM   #6

Coincidentally, I found this thread because I am also looking for a compact tripod. I've been using the Hakuba for 3 years, and it's starting to get flimsy. I don't think it will last 30. ;-)

I like the size of it though, and I was wondering if anyone has seen something like it but with flip levers to lock the legs? Does this even exist?

The problem I have with the Hakuba is that the legs are like radio antennae - you are limited to the length they extend. If you put it in the middle, they will slide closed. Another problem is they are hard to pull out sometimes - this leads to accidentilly elbowing the person sitting next to you. Could be embarrassing if you don't know the person ;-) In general, the Hakuba is a pain to handle, especially if you need to set up in a hurry.
khrome is offline   Reply With Quote