Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Dec 24, 2007, 5:45 PM   #1

I am looking for a decent quality tripod for use with my Canon A630. I will be using this primarily for eBay photos. I have been just holding the camera in my hands as still as possible but I still get a number of "jittery" images. I was able to find a "No-name" 57" tripod at eBay for $12.99 plus $8 shipping but I fear that I will regret this, which is where the Bogen-Manfrotto718B comes into play. The 718B is available at Adorama (thru Amazon for under $100 with free shipping) and while that is substantially more than I had hoped to pay, if the tripod is significantly better then the money would be well-spent. My primary concern about the 718B is the unremoveable head (I do not foresee changing cameras in the immediate future).

I am 6' 1" and all shots will be indoors with a studio-type backdrop. Should I be looking for a maximum height of 60+ inches? Also, how important ishaving a level (the 718B doesn't have one)? The Bogen-Manfrottos seem to be great tripods but if my budget is limited to no more than $60 (which it should be!:roll what are some other brands worth considering?
alton krenslok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2007, 3:28 PM   #2

I didn't realise there was a separate tripod forum - guess this thread should go there. The Amvona AT 858CL seems to be a great tripod for $83 (at Amvona.com). Wish I could've found one for $28.25 on eBay like "tommcarty" in this thread.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 3:54 PM   #3
Administrator

alton krenslok wrote:
Quote:
I didn't realise there was a separate tripod forum - guess this thread should go there.
I moved it for you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 4:03 PM   #4

Thanks. Is it just me or does this forum seem a bit "lost" or mis-placed? I assumed that the "Misc Accessories" forum (http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...orum.php?id=67) covered tripods and lazily did not bother to scroll all the way to the bottom of the Forum Index to find the proper "Tripods and Heads" forum. Maybe a sticky should be added to the "Misc Accessories" forum to guide those seeking tripods and heads advice?
Old Dec 26, 2007, 9:34 AM   #5

I bought a SLIK SPRINT tripod and while it is good I had to buy a quick release plate to add to my head otherwise taking the camera off is a pain.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 2:09 PM   #6
Administrator

alton krenslok wrote:
Quote:
Is it just me or does this forum seem a bit "lost" or mis-placed? I assumed that the "Misc Accessories" forum (http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...orum.php?id=67) covered tripods and lazily did not bother to scroll all the way to the bottom of the Forum Index to find the proper "Tripods and Heads" forum.
You're right, and we've now moved this forum.

Scroll down on the main page and you'll see that it's now placed just before the Misc. Acccessories forum.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:20 PM   #7

I have a SLIK 330 DX tripod, which I bought for $89.95 from Adorma Camera. I really like the tripod.

Kristi
simplykristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:13 AM   #8

Tripods are like hammers...you never know what you need, until you really need one, & then you want the best you can afford. Nothing wrong with going light-weight, until your camera isn't anymore (plus wind, setting it up in water or snow throws a curve in your way)...

I've tried the cheap Slick & Velbon ones & now I use a set of Bogen legs with a Cullman ball-head & quick release. It's not the cheapest set-up, but it was the cheapest & best I could afford at the time. It will hold my DSLR rock stable & even do so with a ring=flash & 52" softbox attached!
Old Jan 31, 2008, 1:22 PM   #9

This reply is a little late, but I shot with an optex tripod for about a year. It served me well and was much better than the velbon I bought for some reason last month. It had a nice cork shoe, so the camera was really stable.

With any of the lower priced items I'd definately take a good look before buying. They seem to vary in quality quite a lot.

Ifind a level to be important on a tripod with a fixed head. Presuming it's not a ball head. I used my level quit a lot andfound that it really helped me out. If you're indoors though, and you're floor islevel,it may be of limited use in that situation.
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote