Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:47 PM   #1

Is it common for tripod feet to come off after a year or two? I was reading this thread and a recent Gitzo owner lost, I forget, a foot or two from his. And he had his for less than a year I believe. And he claims, Sal, that it hasn't been on rough terrain.

I know many working photographers depend on Gitzo tripods in the field. So perhaps this was a fluke? I mean in every production line there are those few that make it through QA with the odd problem.

Has any one used Induro? How about Manfrottos?
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:43 AM   #2

I have been using a Manfrotto Mono Pod for about 5yrs...On the beach, in the salt water, mud, soft dunes, you name it, its been there...Never lost the foot but the bolts and springs that hold the sections in place are about shot...I also have a Manfrotto tripod...About a year old...No foot problems here either...Not saying it won't happen to Manfrotto's, I am sure it could with any maker, but it sounds like the Gitzo guy had one with not enough adhiesive on the feet....I would guess that is any easy fix...
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:48 PM   #3

John at the Beach wrote:
Quote:
I have been using a Manfrotto Mono Pod for about 5yrs...On the beach, in the salt water, mud, soft dunes, you name it, its been there...Never lost the foot but the bolts and springs that hold the sections in place are about shot...I also have a Manfrotto tripod...About a year old...No foot problems here either...Not saying it won't happen to Manfrotto's, I am sure it could with any maker, but it sounds like the Gitzo guy had one with not enough adhiesive on the feet....I would guess that is any easy fix...
Like I said. That one Gitzo owner was probably unlucky. Pros (hate the word "Pro"...sounds pretentious) like Art Wolfe and Vincent Versace use them. And I'm sure many other working photographers.

Anyhow I'll probably go tuy either a Gitzo Mountaineer or Traveller tripod. Or maybe try an Induro. I'm a hobbyist. But I do want a tripod/monopod that will last me.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:05 AM   #4

I loose one of the screw-in spikes on my Gitzo Explorer. It was my own d***`d fauolt - I had been dinging about with it and didn't screw it in tightly enough.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote