Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jan 23, 2008, 3:48 PM   #1

I was looking at monopods, some people on the forum are talking about monopods, I know I use a skypod, it's great, cept, it's not as stable as a tripod, the one leg monopods I mean.
So I was wondering, what's the differences, and which one do YOU think is better?
Exilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:15 PM   #2

Exilmo wrote:
Quote:
I was looking at monopods, some people on the forum are talking about monopods, I know I use a skypod, it's great, cept, it's not as stable as a tripod, the one leg monopods I mean.
So I was wondering, what's the differences, and which one do YOU think is better?
Tripods are stable. Monopods don't stand up on their own.

But tripods are bigger, heavier, and take longer to set up and break down.

Which is better? If you need the camera to stand on it's own (time exposures, panoramas, etc.) you need a tripod. If you just need something to help steady the camera, a monopod might be just what you need.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:27 PM   #3

A tripod will always be more stable. A monopod is more mobile. Monopods are great for supporting cameras especially with large lenses when you need to move from place to place. They will increase your steadiness but only to a point. Most people don't realize you have to learn to use a monopod to get the most out of it. When I go camping (sigh it's been a long time) I take a monopod which I also use as a walking stick. But if I really need support for long exposures then I use a tripod. Unfortunately the only tripod I own isn't very practical for on the go. But they do make some nice light weight models.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:08 AM   #4

I agree with the stability, I use a skypod for over the trees, down cliffs, random things, they aren't as stable as a tripod.
I also agree with the set up time and break down... THAT gets a lil frustrating... though mine only weighs 2 lbs. and comes in a GREAT bag that you put over your shoulder?, set up and break down can become a bit of a hussle, i might look into this whole monopod craze and check it out, haha.
Exilmo is offline   Reply With Quote