Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:07 PM   #1

I'm not really good with all the brands out there or just what I should look for. I know that I want a sturdy tripod with a quick release. Something also where the legs will extend out to bring it closer to the ground. I know that they can range in prices over $100, but I'd like to keep it under that amount. Any suggestions?
orcaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2008, 1:57 AM   #2

orcaartist wrote:
Quote:
I'm not really good with all the brands out there or just what I should look for. I know that I want a sturdy tripod with a quick release. Something also where the legs will extend out to bring it closer to the ground. I know that they can range in prices over $100, but I'd like to keep it under that amount. Any suggestions?
The 1st part is easy...Bogen. If you want a tripod that will allow you to place your camera 12 inches from the ground, you will need to spend more than your budget.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:08 PM   #3

This is an old article, but it still rings true.

Doug

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

orcaartist wrote:
Quote:
dougste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:27 PM   #4

I have this one in layaway at my local camera store. I played with it first and it is very sturdy. Got the tripod and head for $216. You can get cheaper heads to keep the price down.

Tripod
http://www.bogenimaging.us/Jahia/sit...st=MARKET:MKT1

Head
http://www.bogenimaging.us/Jahia/sit...st=MARKET:MKT1

ZippyZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:02 AM   #5

the way i went was to go with this goofly little cannon (Probably not a real cannon tripod but it says cannon on the side of it) that has an adjuster ring that determines the angle of all three legs and that will sit my maxxum 7d about 1.5 inches off the ground up to about 12 inches off the ground as long as i dont use a heavy lens. another option i use is a a gorria pod i bought for my little hdd camcorder, it is the big sixe one i use it primarily to attatch the cam corder to scooter handle bars, but it is very usefull for low shots on un even surfaces. you can get them on ebay for around 20 dollars i think, and then you can find a set of good legs and a head for doing your higher stuff. you should be able to get a useable set for around 100 i would think but who knows
Dr.Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:19 AM   #6

Good article Doug and thanks for sharing as there are some great tips and pointers within it!
Indykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 7:01 PM   #7

orcaartist-

I travel 10 to 11 months each year. Therefore, after living through 3 smashed/destroyed expensive tripods. I opted for the Walmart strategy. I carry a $29 Walmart tripod. It has worked well for me, and even better it has not been smashed/destroyed in over 37 months of travel. Perhaps it leads a charmed life? Who knows. My nice Bogen tripod lives at home, thank you.

I just put it in the suitcase,as we leave again for 3 month of traveling tomorrow.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:29 AM   #8

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
... after living through 3 smashed/destroyed expensive tripods. ...
What happened to the cameras that were on those tripods? How did they break?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 12:11 AM   #9

Bill-

The tripods were excellent tripods. It wasthe sub par category airlinebaggage handling that caused their unfortunate demise.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 1:45 PM   #10

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Bill-

The tripods were excellent tripods. It wasthe sub par category airlinebaggage handling that caused their unfortunate demise.

Sarah Joyce
I believe "sub par category airlinebaggage handling" is the only category remaining for airline baggage handling. I prone to telling my mobile computer users that only three thing can happen to checked luggage, lost, stolen and broken and all three are bad.:sad:
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote