Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:20 AM   #1

I have been looking into tripods and I came across a Vanguard. They seem to have some nice entry level, independant leg tripods at a reasonable price.

Here is a link to their site:
http://www.vanguardusa.com/product3.php?sort3=9

And here is a sample price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830997352

I can't really seem to find any reviews, other than a couple customer reviews on sites. Any opinions? It seems to be a really good deal to me, except I'm just a beginner, and I don't have too much money to be dishing out right now on really expensive tripods. I want to have a tripod for outdoor photography while hiking. So I need one with independant legs.
RHDxSPAWNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2008, 3:01 PM   #2

I've got one I just purchased around last Xmas(the only good presents you get are ones you buy yourself) and I love it. I just can't remember what model it is right now, I'm at work.But....Its extremelyWell built for a cheaper unit and the head is very smooth for panning. A little tight when I first got it but with use it loosened up fine. You can change out the head, reverse the mount to use for macro shots etc.etc...A bit on the heavy side.But It won't budge if you breath on it like some will do.However if you are doing most of your shots mobile, I would steer you towards a Monopod.You can't beat them when you are setting up shots and moving.....My2Sense.:lol:
Coax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 3:50 PM   #3

Yeah they seemed like a good tripod. And I already have a monopod. But I'd like to have a tripod too. That way I can get some really good low-light landscape shots.
RHDxSPAWNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 5:24 PM   #4

Thing is,I use it for Photo and Video work and the weight doesn't seem to matter.But I know one of these days I'm gonna need that impossible shot somewhere in the Olympic Mtns and I'll end up eating my words.But then I think "Wait I'm at least getting $100 worth of exercise!"So I'm Good.......:idea:
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:50 PM   #5

I've since gotten home and I'll add that mine is the Tracker 2
Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:00 PM   #6

i bought the tracker 4
it is an excellent professional quality tripod
very sturdy..has some weight to it but thats always good..all the panning/tilting and other movements are very fluid...so there is no jerky manner about it at all..the quick release shoe is very trusting...the only thing that feels barely bad is the center column when you raise it..but when you tighten it feels much sturdier

i would definately recommend any of the tracker tripods..the tracker 3 and 4 heads i would definately recommend..they work great..and having the degree markings is also helpful!
xiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:12 AM   #7

I just bought the Tracker 1 and it is perfect! Very solid. Not 'light-as-a-feather' but very solid! And very smooth. Easy quick release. Easy controls. Will hold my Alpha with beercan lens with no problem at any angle! I am very pleased with this purchase.
applemac1 is offline   Reply With Quote