Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Aug 16, 2008, 11:52 PM   #1

Howdy, I bit the bullet and bought a Manfrotto carbon fiber pod, along with a 3130 micro fluid head. http://www.adorama.com/BG3130.html

I generally use the setup with my Canon 70-200 f 2.8 IS L lens. I use it to photograph dog agility, there are usually a couple dozen dogs running in each class. I generally set up in a good place and pan around, taking maybe 4 pictures. However, about halfway through each class I notice that the head isn't panning, rather the QR plate is turning on the tripod collar on the lens.

Has anyone just used loctite or something to semi-permanantly attach the QR plate to the collar? Or perhaps there's some other way to secure it. It's a real pain to take the lens off the pod, take off the plate, tighten the screw, then put it all back together w/out missing some shots.

Joe
Kalispell, MT
Canon 40D
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2008, 8:33 PM   #2

Locktight works well. Just remember that it comes in different strengths - you want the one that's removeable.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 9:57 PM   #3

That would mean that I'd have to carry loctite in my camera bag, use it every time.
Is there any reason why I couldn't buy a spare QR plate, then use permanent loctite on the 70-200? Seems to me that would make sense, since pretty much anytime I use that lens it will be with a tripdod.

Joe

surfnron wrote:
Quote:
Locktight works well. Just remember that it comes in different strengths - you want the one that's removeable.
Ron
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote