Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Mar 20, 2009, 3:54 PM   #1

are monopods really only for when you are using long lenses for long peroids of time
is there any benifits in using a monopod with a small prime lens like a 50 mm

Dave

Pentax K20D / D-BG2
DA*16-50 : DA*50-135 : 360 FGZ
Tamrac velocity 8X / Domke F3X / lowepro stealth reporter 100AW
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2009, 4:20 PM   #2

Monopods are especially useful in museums or a church where the flash is forbidden and tripod use is prohibited. You get less stabilization of course with the one leg and it's best to find something to support the monopod and/or yourself when snapping the pic, although one can get a Trek monopod that has 3 stabilizing 'feet extensions' to support the monopod more. So if you're in those low-light situations and they give your tripod the ixnay, you can take something in there to help, rather than putting one elbow into body and trying to hold it steady even with the IS. From what I know, the prime 50mm with a great aperture like the FA 50 mm 1.4 will only help you (I have it) in very low-light situations like those and it's light, so you could possibly hold it steady enough handheld at least part of the time.
fotografo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 6:12 PM   #3

what brought this question is, when i read reviews on monopods , for some reason it is alwaysassociated with sports photography, so i wondered ,if the monopodis only used when a big lens is being used or can it be used for landscape and low light with a standard zoom and would you benifit by using one

Dave

Pentax K20D / D-BG2

Old Mar 20, 2009, 7:24 PM   #4

Landscapes are usually well lit, so you probably wouldn't need a monopod to support a camera for the short exposures you could use in those circumstances.

And for indoor use with a short lens in available light, a monopod can add considerably to the cumbersomness of a camera. It's harder to move around, and taking sohots looking up or down will be difficult.

That is not to say you couldn't use a monopod for those situations, but you may find that, after trying it,you didn't want to.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2009, 12:09 AM   #5

\TCav is right about the landscape shots, that you could boost your ISO, shutter speed and all if needed to help you get a good shot handheld. When I decided on getting my Manfrotto-Bogen monopod, I got mine specifically for low light since I do like to photograph some special items in museums that have dim light anyway. However, I also got an extension arm that attaches to the monopod that serves to help me brace it against my shoulder and it has an adjustable length locking mechanism. The monopod is really light although the 2 heads I can attach to it are actually heavier than the monopod (but both will stay rock-solid). The main use that will be more practical for a monopod will be those low-light museum or church situations. The only way I'd say having a monopod is practical outside for landscape photography would be IF you didn't have a tripod (or carrying a tripod is too heavy) and you'd want to be able to place the monopod at odd angles to the ground on a hiking excursion--but you'd have to have something to brace yourself against to steady the monopod for good measure.

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
what brought this question is, when i read reviews on monopods , for some reason it is alwaysassociated with sports photography, so i wondered ,if the monopodis only used when a big lens is being used or can it be used for landscape and low light with a standard zoom and would you benifit by using one

Dave

Pentax K20D / D-BG2

fotografo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 6:25 AM   #6

Here is a good resource about monopods:
http://vesnakozelj.com/photography/e...camera-monopod
sevbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:09 PM   #7

How do you use a monopod? I have one from years ago but don't know if I have ever used it. I am going away on holiday & thought I would take it rather than my tripod since it is smaller. But it doesn't stand up by itself so do I have to hold the camera up on the monopod to take a photo? I think that would make it harder to take a photo with.
jvanwees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:10 PM   #8

How do you use a monopod? I have one from years ago but don't know if I have ever used it. I am going away on holiday & thought I would take it rather than my tripod since it is smaller. But it doesn't stand up by itself so do I have to hold the camera up on the monopod to take a photo? I think that would make it harder to take a photo with.
jvanwees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:31 AM   #9

True. A monopod doesn't stand up by itself. It depends on you holding a camera. A monopod is the third leg of a tripod, the other two legs being yours (or a reasonable facsimile thereof.) It can not and will not indepentantly support a camera, but it will help you support a camera.

I use my monopod without a head. I mount the camera directly onto the monopod (via quick mounting plates) to keep the camera straight and level. Therefore, I couldn't use it to shoot anything up high or down low. (That's why I use quick connecting plates. I can quickly remove the camera from the monopod, should the mood strike me, and quickly replace it when the mood passes.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:44 AM   #10

well i finally took a chance an ordered the manfrotto 680 with 234rc head, price not to bad for a trial

hope i made a good match here

Dave

Pentax K20D / D-BG2