Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Apr 3, 2009, 9:42 PM   #11

cmoy wrote:

looked at the load rate on it, only 3.5 lbs balanced , becareful,this means if lens weight is heavier than the camera weight, which is common in DSLR's this head wont lock properly,

if you get to see one , check to see if the head is removable

Dave

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2009, 10:09 PM   #12

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
cmoy wrote: ¬*

¬*

looked at the load rate on it, only 3.5 lbs balanced , becareful,¬*this means if lens weight is heavier than the camera weight, which is common in DSLR's this head wont lock properly,

if you get to see¬* one , check to see if the head is removable

¬*

Dave
That's exactly what I was going to look at :-)
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:14 PM   #13

Cmoy -- what tripod did you settle on? I am looking for something light (travel a lot) but needs to support a Canon100-400 which is pretty heavy. I realize it is a trade off but I think if I could not tie it to a day-pack I might not take it at all. Any suggestions? I looked at the Slik Print Pro but the load probably is not enough. The Vortex High Country states it is 5 lbs. - - Any suggestions?
ghpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:43 PM   #14

ghpots wrote:
Quote:
Cmoy -- what tripod did you settle on?¬* I am looking for something light (travel a lot) but needs to support a Canon100-400 which is pretty heavy.¬* I realize it is a trade off but I think if I could not tie it to a day-pack I might not take it at all.¬*¬*¬* Any suggestions?¬*¬* I looked at the Slik Print Pro but the load probably is not enough.¬* The Vortex High Country states it is 5 lbs.¬*¬* - - Any suggestions?¬*
Haven't picked anything up yet. Still thinking about the Slik...

http://www.adorama.com/SLSPMB.html?s...fo=slik+tripod

My friend has one and uses it with his 1Ds and 24-70mm with no problems. I would love a carbon fiber but I can't afford it. My Slik Mini Pro III held my 1D MK II and 28-70mm with no problems but it's way too short I need trash cans or handrails with this mini tripod. I'll let you guys know what I end up with.

Old Apr 14, 2009, 2:46 PM   #15

That's a cute table-top! It looks sturdier than mine, though I can't complain about mine - it's a Manfrotto that my other half bought me for Christmas one year, for a fixed lens camera I had. If I'm real careful about where the legs are, I can put my camera with a Viv Series One 105 macro on it. It's taught me to not under-buy when it comes to tripods.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:19 PM   #16

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
That's a cute table-top! It looks sturdier than mine, though I can't complain about mine - it's a Manfrotto that my other half bought me for Christmas one year, for a fixed lens camera I had. If I'm real careful about where the legs are, I can put my camera with a Viv Series One 105 macro on it. It's taught me to not under-buy when it comes to tripods.
The Slik isn't bad. Itworks with the 1D MK II. It's not so good with my 20D and 28-70mm. It tipped over the first day I got my 28-70mm. Left a nice scuff mark in the lens body I've even tried this tripod with my 1D MK II and 70-200mm :-) Seemed to hold up pretty well but then again I was just testing it out at home.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 6:54 PM   #17

I spent some time yesterday in a camera store that had both Manfrotto and Gitzo tripods, and I learned quite a bit just by finally handling them, and by reading through an older Gitzo catalog that I got from them.

In the good-news-bad-news category, one of the things that they talked about in the catalog is that it's not just the weight that counts for stability, but focal length does, too. That was disappointing to me as while my camera/lens combination is well within the weight capability of the 1541, the longest lens that I use often is 300mm with all the weight on the front of the lens (not very well balanced). So the recommendation would be to get the Mountaineer 2541, not the 1541. The good news is that I looked at it (they didn't have the 1541) and thought it was quite useable (especially compared to the basalt version of the same lens, which was unacceptably heavy for me).

The really bad news is that I just went to three websites looking for pricing - B&H, Adorama and Really Right Stuff. They have all raised their prices for Gitzo tripods significantly since the last time I checked (2 weeks ago).

I'm definitely going to get CF. I now understand some of the things that Gitzo does that makes them so expensive. If it weren't for the significant increase in price, I'd be planning on getting the 2541 but now I'm back to hoping that the 1541 would be sturdy enough to manage 300 mm, or trying to convince myself that I could be happier with either a heavier or less sturdily built tripod. Or waiting.

How are you doing with your search?

P.S. - Just discovered why the prices have gone up - Gitzo is offering a rebate (from April 1st thru Aug): $40 for tripod legs or head or $100 for legs and tripod. Hmmm - all of a sudden the Gitzo head/leg combination suddenly sounds pretty good, add to that the RRS QR plate and L-bracket. Still expensive, but about what I was expecting to spend originally.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:22 PM   #18

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I spent some time yesterday in a camera store that had both Manfrotto and Gitzo tripods, and I learned quite a bit just by finally handling them, and by reading through an older Gitzo catalog that I got from them.

In the good-news-bad-news category, one of the things that they talked about in the catalog is that it's not just the weight that counts for stability, but focal length does, too. That was disappointing to me as while my camera/lens combination is well within the weight capability of the 1541, the longest lens that I use often is 300mm with all the weight on the front of the lens (not very well balanced). So the recommendation would be to get the Mountaineer 2541, not the 1541. The good news is that I looked at it (they didn't have the 1541) and thought it was quite useable (especially compared to the basalt version of the same lens, which was unacceptably heavy for me).

The really bad news is that I just went to three websites looking for pricing - B&H, Adorama and Really Right Stuff. They have all raised their prices for Gitzo tripods significantly since the last time I checked (2 weeks ago).

I'm definitely going to get CF. I now understand some of the things that Gitzo does that makes them so expensive. If it weren't for the significant increase in price, I'd be planning on getting the 2541 but now I'm back to hoping that the 1541 would be sturdy enough to manage 300 mm, or trying to convince myself that I could be happier with either a heavier or less sturdily built tripod. Or waiting.

How are you doing with your search?

P.S. - Just discovered why the prices have gone up - Gitzo is offering a rebate (from April 1st thru Aug): $40 for tripod legs or head or $100 for legs and tripod. Hmmm - all of a sudden the Gitzo head/leg combination suddenly sounds pretty good, add to that the RRS QR plate and L-bracket. Still expensive, but about what I was expecting to spend originally.
Have you thought about second hand? I won my Gitzo 1227 on the Bay. Think i got a good deal, under 400. It came with with a cheap Manfrotto ballhead. This was awhile ago so I'm not sure if prices on the Bay has also gone up too.

For now I've stop searching for a travel tripod. I just bought a Markins M10 for my 1227. Can't afford anything else right now Also, my wife will kill me if I order anything else :G
Old Apr 22, 2009, 4:05 PM   #19

I hate to admit it, but Adorama has shipped me the 2541 legs and a Gitzo1277 head, couldn't turn down the $100 rebate. I have to wait until Wednesday (payday!)before I can order the RRS lever QR plate and an L-bracket for my camera. so I'll have a brand newtripod and ballhead this weekend, but no plates for it. My other half is secretly enjoying watching me squirm when I think of this, I think.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 4:19 PM   #20

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I hate to admit it, but Adorama has shipped me the 2541 legs and a Gitzo1277 head, couldn't turn down the $100 rebate. I have to wait until Wednesday (payday!)before I can order the RRS lever QR plate and an L-bracket for my camera. so I'll have a brand newtripod and ballhead this weekend, but no plates for it. My other half is secretly enjoying watching me squirm when I think of this, I think.
Congrats! I held off on the RRS plates. It would have cost me almost as much if not more than the M10. Of course I don't have to order the L bracket but I want it :G I also want RRSquick release lever. I'm a bit worried about Markins twist system. I'm worried that I'll not tighten it enough and my camera will come crashing down on the ground or I won't be able to loosen it to release my camera. I'm a bit of a worry wort :G