Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Sep 3, 2009, 3:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg27 View Post
Yes--my mistake: I was not taking into account the center column (sorry). Since I will use this primarily for travel, I'm leaning toward those that are somewhat shorter when folded, like the 055XB you recommended (even shorter still would be better).

In terms of the heads you recommended, is the primary advantage of the 808RC4 over the 804RC2 the load capacity?

And btw, the last tripod I had was many years ago when I shot film and that was definitely a tilt pan head, which I prefer to the ball--thanks for the reminder.

dg
The Manfrotto 190 series is shorter (both in standard height without center column extended and the completely folded length) and less expensive. For a true travel tripod, sometimes you have to give up height for need.

The 808RC4 uses the RC4 QR plate, while the 804RC2 uses the RC2 QR plate. Can't interchange the RC4 plate for use on the 804. The RC4 plate is physically bigger, meaning more surface area for the rubber mount of the plate to touch to the camera and firmly hold the camera in place. People do use the RC2 from various Manfrotto heads with full sized cameras with few complaints. That said, the larger surface area of the RC4 will always provide a surer grip.

Load capacity of the 808 is relative to the size of the friction (contact) plates of the various joints versus the 804. In theory the 808 will last longer than the 804 because the moving parts (contact plates at the joints) will not be as quick to wear out due to use with a heavy rig, but since most people don't buy a head to last their life time the long term durability of the units may not be an issue.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 4:37 PM   #32

Thanks for your reply. I looked at a few of these today. Since I'd like the tripod and head to travel better (fold up smaller and weigh less), I'm considering the 109XPROB

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gs_Black_.html

and the 804RC2:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Tilt_Head.html

Would this be an OK combo?

It's not for constant use, probably 40 days per year.
dg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I looked at a few of these today. Since I'd like the tripod and head to travel better (fold up smaller and weigh less), I'm considering the 109XPROB

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gs_Black_.html

and the 804RC2:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Tilt_Head.html

Would this be an OK combo?

It's not for constant use, probably 40 days per year.

Looks like a good combination, especially for your limited use. you could drop down to either of the more basic 190 tripods

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ml#accessories

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

and save a few $.

The XB lacks the horizontal feature to the center column, but the center column can reverse such that the tripod can be used for ground level macro shots.

The XDB is just a basic leg set (lacks both the horizontal feature and the ground level {low angle adapter} of the other tripod)
Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:02 PM   #34

Thanlks for the suggestions. If I did go less $$, I'd opt for the type that do not have wings nuts z(XB).

Think I'll have to see it in person to understand how to reverse the center column; but thinking about it I may want to stick with one that has the horizontal feature, since I do shootfoliage etc. that's on the ground at times. One spec that I don't get is the "minimum height." For the 190XPROB is says: "3.3" (8.5 cm) [w/center column in horizontal position]."

Is this with the legs pushed all the way in the the horizontal plate pointed all the way down?

dg
Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:56 PM   #35

the 3.3" minimum is with the center column reversered and legs spread widest/shortest length.

Reversing the center column is pretty easy. There is a spring loaded button thingy on the end of the column to keep the column from being removed through the center mount. Depress the button and the column slides through the center mount. Reverse the direction and slide the column back through the center mount.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:14 PM   #36

oh..OK...that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.--dg
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:11 PM   #37

Default Manfrotto 804RC2: centering on 190XPROB?

Update: After looking at several legs sets and heads, I opted for the Manfrotto 190XPROB legs and the 804RC2 head. Very happy with them: I think the builds are great--very solid. I know I could have gone a little lighter, but I think this will work. Thanks to everyone who weighed in.

One question (at the definite risk of sounding very anal): Is there a trick to mounting the 804RC2 so that the "0"'s on the panning adjustment are @ 6 and 12 o'clock? I tried positioning it differently (like with one of the zeroes at 9 o'clock, etc., when I start screwing it down to the mounting plate, but it consistently ends up with the zeros at 5 and 11 o'clock. Minor point, but I'm curious if thereis a way around this...

dg
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:38 PM   #38

Quote:
One question (at the definite risk of sounding very anal): Is there a trick to mounting the 804RC2 so that the "0"'s on the panning adjustment are @ 6 and 12 o'clock? I tried positioning it differently (like with one of the zeroes at 9 o'clock, etc., when I start screwing it down to the mounting plate, but it consistently ends up with the zeros at 5 and 11 o'clock. Minor point, but I'm curious if thereis a way around this...

dg
Good question.

I don't know if there is an answer, personally I think it is the luck of the install.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:04 AM   #39

Finally picked up a travel tripod. Took me long enough I ended up buying a Benro C-068M8 carbon fiber tripod. It's tiny when folded down, just over 14"! Haven't had a chance to try it out except at home. Seems to hold up pretty well to my wife's 30D with the following lenses...

Canon 10-22
Sigma 12-24
Canon 15 Fisheye
Canon 24-105
Canon 28-70

The ballhead is a bit weak for my 1D MK II and 28-70. I might be able to get away with the 12-24 but I'll eventually pick up a better ballhead like the Markins Q3. Hanging my camera bag on the hook definitely helps with either bodies. I'll take some photo of it when I have time.

Thanks everyone!
Chris
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:52 PM   #40

Since the last time replied to this thread I haven't used the tripod 2 reasons...

1. Benro's ballhead can't hold my 1D MK II
2. Wife wouldn't allow me to buy a new ballhead for it.

Well guys, I picked up a new BH Got myself a Photo Clam PC-33NS. Holds up my 1Ds MK II with the 28-70. I can even tilt my lens down I wouldn't use the center column. It's not very steady with 5+ lbs of gear on it. Even with my wife's 5D and 24-105 I wouldn't raise the center column It's much better with the the center column down. I've been mostly playing around with it at home since the weather has been nasty. I was able to get a night shot over the weekend. I'm pretty happy with the photo. I need to take some more test shots or plan a vacation so I'm forced to use thet tripod BTW My main use for this tripod would be for night shots of cityscapes on vacation.

Folds down to 14 1/2"

1Ds MK II
28-70mm @ 28
f/13
10 sec
ISO 100
Remote switch
Mirror lockup

cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote