Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Mar 27, 2009, 1:08 PM   #1

Something light and smallthat will hold up my 1D MK II and Canon 28-70mm f/2.8. I was looking at the Manfrotto 718SHB but the max it can hold is very close to my body/lens weight. Is there anything out there that's about the same size/price as the Manfrotto 718SHB but with amax load of more than 5.5 lbs?

Thanks!
Chris
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2009, 6:44 PM   #2

Gitzo 1541T travel tripod folds down to 16" with head on, but the price will make you baw,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,l ,only $530 , legs only

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 8:22 PM   #3

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
Gitzo 1541T travel tripod folds down to 16" with head on, but the price will make you baw,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,l ,only $530 , legs only

¬*

Dave
Thanks Dave! That's the one I want but my boss, wife, would kill me if I pulled the trigger
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:25 PM   #4

cmoy wrote:
Quote:
dafiryde wrote:
Quote:

Dave
Thanks Dave! That's the one I want but my boss, wife, would kill me if I pulled the trigger
or you have that kind of boss also, i thought i was the only one :G

i also came accross the Benro C169 tripod , folds down to 14" $335 at B&H photo,

Dave

Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:30 PM   #5

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
cmoy wrote:
Quote:
dafiryde wrote:
Quote:

¬*

Dave
or you have that kind of boss also, i thought i was the only one¬* :G

i also came accross the Benro C169 tripod , folds down to 14" $335 at B&H photo,

¬*

Dave

¬*
Think the boss will still have a problem with $300+ but I might be able to talk her into it :G 14" and carbon fiber, NICE! Thanks again Dave!
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:21 PM   #6

the only problem though is that i have never heard of, or seen a Benro tripod before, then again i have never seen a good brand name tripod before :G

if you do get a chance to see or can give any feedback on the Benro i would really appreciate it

Dave
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:31 PM   #7

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
the only problem though is that i have never heard of, ¬*or seen a Benro tripod before, then again i have never seen a good brand name tripod before :G

if you do get a chance to see or can give any feedback on the Benro i would really appreciate it

¬*

Dave
I'll see if I have time to run over to B&H or Adorama this weekend :-)
Old Apr 3, 2009, 9:25 AM   #8

Hey Dave,

This is a little cheaper and folds down to 14"...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

I'll see if I have time to check it out at B&H. BTW I mentioned to my wife about this tripod :G She said "Sounds good but never heard of the brand" :lol: She mentioned nothing about the price If it looks good in person I might have the thumbs up from her :G If not I may go with this cheapo...

http://www.adorama.com/SLSPMB.html?s...fo=slik+tripod

Thanks!

Chris
Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:50 PM   #9

I've seen Benro mentioned elsewhere as a possible alternative - it's supposed to be one of the better made knock-offs. I've never actually seen one, so would be interested in your views, especially if you also look at the Gitzo 1541. My other half hasn't said no to this one, just rolled his eyes and suggested that it would be cheaper to get the best/most appropriatefirst, rather than keep upgrading and end up spending twice as much. I'm still saving up, but hope to buy something in May.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2009, 2:01 PM   #10

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I've seen Benro mentioned elsewhere as a possible alternative - it's supposed to be one of the better made knock-offs. I've never actually seen one, so would be interested in your views, especially if you also look at the Gitzo 1541. My other half hasn't said no to this one, just rolled his eyes and suggested that it would be cheaper to get the best/most appropriatefirst, rather than keep upgrading and end up spending twice as much. I'm still saving up, but hope to buy something in May.
I already used that line "get the best/most appropriate first..." :-) That's how I talked her into letting my buy my Gitzo 1227. Won't work this time I have a feeling I'll end up with the Slik. Guess it won't be too bad since I'll only be using it on vacations. Good luck in May! :-)