Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Apr 12, 2009, 1:49 PM   #1

Hey guys,

I'm currently using a Manfrotto 486 RC2 Ballhead...

I'm looking for something that has separate controls for panning and tension control. The 486 RC2 only has one lever that controls both. It's near impossible to pan without the head moving out of position. I can't afford a lot, +/-200 the most. I'm planning on reusing the quick release clamp and plates that I have now. My heaviest setup would be my 1D MK II and 70-200mm f/2.8 non IS. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

Chris
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:34 AM   #2

Another thought :-) I really want a Markins M20 with RRS quick release clamp and plates. Problem, this setup will cose more than what I paid for my Sigma 12-24mm. I can't afford it right now. Also, my wife would kill me. Instead of going for a cheap ballhead would it make more sense for me to pick up the Markins M20 and reuse my Manfrotto quick release clamp and plates? I can always upgrade the plates later when I have some more cash. I know the M20 is over 300 bucks and my max is 200but I think I can find the cash for it. I also feel like I'm wasting money if I go with a cheap head now because I know I'll end up with the Markins one day.

Don't think I need the M20. The M10 should be enough for my setup:-)
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:56 PM   #3

Go for the Markins. If we don't have forced furloughs or pay cuts, I'm planning/hoping on getting the RRS ballhead. I don't do panning, so want a relatively simple ball head. I did go out one day with an old video tripod and discovered the big disadvantage of the pan/tilt heads - it's a pain to have everything have a separate knob to loosen and tighten, took forever to get things where I wanted them.

I'm also thinking of getting macro rails, but have heard that they can be more bother than they are worth, also.

Is it crazy for me to expect the tripod I buy (assuming that I spend a small fortune on it) to last me for 30 years, like some of my lenses have? I'm still having trouble getting my mind around how much I think I'm going to spend.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 2:27 PM   #4

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Go for the Markins. If we don't have forced furloughs or pay cuts, I'm planning/hoping on getting the RRS ballhead. I don't do panning, so want a relatively simple ball head. I did go out one day with an old video tripod and discovered the big disadvantage of the pan/tilt heads - it's a pain to have everything have a separate knob to loosen and tighten, took forever to get things where I wanted them.

I'm also thinking of getting macro rails, but have heard that they can be more bother than they are worth, also.

Is it crazy for me to expect the tripod I buy (assuming that I spend a small fortune on it) to last me for 30 years, like some of my lenses have? I'm still having trouble getting my mind around how much I think I'm going to spend.
That's what I did :? Ordered it yesterday :-) Can't wait to try it out. I have to photograph some projects for my boss in the coming weeks. The Markins will be so much easier to use than my Manfrotto. No more recompossing the entire shot because I need pan a little. And the extra money from this shoot will help pay for the Markins :-)

I've thought about getting macro rails for my watch photos but never pulled the trigger.Haven't even researched on them.

I would expect a good tripod to last that long. Especially if it's costing you 3-400 bucks, legs only. My Gitzo 1227 better last that long! :-)
Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:54 PM   #5

I vaguely looked at a couple of macro rails in my local camera store. The ones they had weren't that expensive, I may decide later to get one. There's some that adjust only front-back (important for focusing) while others can adjust sideways, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:11 PM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I vaguely looked at a couple of macro rails in my local camera store. The ones they had weren't that expensive, I may decide later to get one. There's some that adjust only front-back (important for focusing) while others can adjust sideways, too.
If they're not too expensive I might seriously look into it.