Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:51 AM   #1

Default New tripod for my D60

Hey, any good ideas for a new tripod. My current is too small and weak for use imo.

It's maximum height is about 80-90cm.
I need something which can be operated as a "standing" (me standing in front of it) tripod and I'm 6'0" (180cm) on the dot.

I don't want to spend more than $150-200 if that's possible

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:30 PM   #2

Morning, I went looking for a post I remember on the Pentax board that had a number of measurements and what to look for - but that was prior to the change in format, and for some reason I think that the search is not all inclusive. But from memory this is how it went....

Rather than measuring your height, measure from the ground up to your eye. Hold that number.

Then measure your camera from the base up to the viewfinder.

Are you going to buy a separate ball head? If so you need that height or at least consider that in to the calculations. If you are just going to use what ever the tripod mounting system (ball head or 3 way pan head, etc.) you need to figure to its mounting plate where the camera attaches, and not just the height of the tripod itself.

So your tripod height needs to be...

eye height - camera height - mounting system height = tripod height

Then you need to figure out if you just want a tripod with a center post that extends up or just the tripod.

So there are some things to think about when looking for a tripod so as to know what you want.

I just finished buying a tripod and ball head, and I think that you can find what you are looking for in your price range.

There are also some other factors to take in to consideration. They are listed here...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...hould-buy.html

Also, there are quite a few discussions here in the tripod area that I think would be helpful and possibly some suggestions of specific tripods that may work for your situation.

I do have to say that after going through this process it is not as simple as it appears. There are enough choices to be made that it can be trying. Then again if you are only going to use it a few times a year - and anything will work, then it can be quite simple.

hope that helps...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 1:03 PM   #3

THanks very much, mate! helped a lot

Flikkaarrrr
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acapulco View Post
Hey, any good ideas for a new tripod. My current is too small and weak for use imo.

It's maximum height is about 80-90cm.
I need something which can be operated as a "standing" (me standing in front of it) tripod and I'm 6'0" (180cm) on the dot.

I don't want to spend more than $150-200 if that's possible

Using Interest Observer's post and your height. A Manfrotto 055 with just about any head will position the viewfinder of most dslrs right at eye level or just below with the center post NOT extended.

(Manfrotto 055 with gear head and I stand 5'11")

Skip the pro series of the 055 (with the horizontal arm) and get the regular unit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gs_Black_.html

$165

Then buy a cheap head (knowing you will soon want to replace it) and you can squeeze in under the $200 budget and have a set of legs that will last you several tripod heads and camera bodies.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 9:24 PM   #5

Okay, these are the tripods which is competing against each other :

Velbon Sherpa 803 R/F @ $150

Bilora 253 Perfect Pro Alu Tripod @ $130 + Bilora 1157 Professional AutoBall Grip S @ $80

Velbon Sherpa 600 R/F @ $120

I can buy the "Bilora Set" and Sherpa 600R/F tomorrow while I'm still going to buy a new harddrive. But the Velbon I can't get until Tue/Wednesday next week.
What are your opinions?

Flikkaarrrr

Last edited by Acapulco; Oct 1, 2009 at 9:26 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:19 PM   #6

Here is just my take - and I am no expert, but based on the 2 tripods I have used, here goes....

Velbon Sherpa 803 R/F @ $150 - looks nice and very serviceable. The round knob on the ball head I think is much easier than a lever. The clamp on the center post is novel.

Bilora 253 Perfect Pro Alu Tripod @ $130 + Bilora 1157 Professional AutoBall Grip S @ $80 - I like the legs in the brochure I found. The pistol grip I might question only as to how much travel is available across each of the three axis of movement.

Velbon Sherpa 600 R/F @ $120 - My only personal preference is a ball head as opposed to a lever.

They all look fine - it all boils down to your personal preferences....

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:58 PM   #7

I'd like to know if anyone knows where the Velbon Sherpa 803R can be purchased in the United States for a reasonable price. It seems to be scarce here, but plentiful in other countries. I've seen forum posts from a year ago that indicated it could be had for $100-$150, but I haven't seen it anywhere for that price.
lilsassy is offline   Reply With Quote