Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:05 AM   #1

Default How tall for tripod

Hi, i am 6'3" tall and was wondering what would be the best tripod to suit my new Canon SX1 camera. I dont want to have to stoop over to take lots of pics, and at the same time dont want the centre pole extended hugely as to avoid it becoming to unsturdy. Thanks for your help.
billylid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:12 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Billy,

I'm 6'6" so know where you are coming from. When I use my SX1 it is nearly only for video so I use it on a Velbon DV-7000 as with the screen out it doesn't have to be at head height.

If you really need a lot of height then something like this tripod will do the trick http://www.velbon.co.uk/newvelbon/pages/CF730.html

Yes I do use 2 tripods from Velbon, they are not the best but they offer really good value and will be more than capable for the weight of an SX1. I use the tripods with much heavier dSLR kit and they do a fine job.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:41 PM   #3

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply. I would be using tripod for mainly photos with my SX1, and was wondering if this tripod(DV-7000) would still suit and is the centre colum extended very far at all for us tall people when using? Some reviews have said that it is a heavy tripod (how heavy?)and some of the parts are plastic. In your opinion is the DV-7000 a good investment. Bill.
Also Mark, what do you think of the Slik Pro 700DX tripod.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:14 PM   #4

I see the Velbon DV-7000 is 1625mm(63") max height. Wont that be a bit small for me being 6'3" tall?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:11 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Like I say I only use the DV7000 for video and a Velbon Carbon Pro for photo use with dSLRs. I don't find that it is too low with the SX1 as I never use the EVF so I can look down at it. Generally shooting lower than our height will give a better angle which is why when shooting without a tripod I'm often found crouching etc.

What sort of shots are you thinking of using this for?

Even with my carbon tripod where I can go high I rarely do max it out.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:00 PM   #6

Hi, love taking sunsets, landscape, sports, portrait. thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:13 PM   #7
Super Moderator

For sports you won't need a tripod, it will be a bigger hindrance, for portrait work I never use a tripod be it studio or open air. Low light landscapes or if you want to do HDR then a tripod can certainly help, the attached was taken with the shutter open for 6 seconds so I couldn't have done it without the tripod.

As the SX1 is so light then basically any tripod will do the trick, however getting a better one now will save you needing to spend more in the future if you switch to heavier gear. The DV7000 is not a photo tripod as you can't switch the camera to portrait orientation so either the other Velbon or the Silk you talk about would be good options as you can go high if you so desire.
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:41 PM   #8

The slik pro 700DX AMT is a tall tripod with grounder capability also, it extends to 1.5 meters with the center column down, and 1.9 meters with the center column for about 130 US. If you want a very tall tripod. It can hold a decent load around 7 kilo, but it is a bit heavy at 3.5 kilo. It is about 140 US.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:16 AM   #9

Thanks for the feedback guys, i have looked around a lot at what is available and i think i will go with the Slik Pro 700DX. Looks like it will meet my needs. Thanks, Bill from New Zealand.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:39 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I'm sure you will get on well. I hope you stay around and share some of your photo as you have some amazing scenery down there.