Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:01 AM   #1

Default I bought two Gorillapods

Hey guys, given the positive feedback to my review of the new Sony DSC-W350 I decided to review the Joby Gorillapod. This sounds more like a sales pitch I know... but I really do love this thing. I can't think of anything bad. Just different. But if they changed the different huge advantages would be lost.

http://markuhde.blogspot.com/2010/01/gorilla-power.html
Mark Uhde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:35 PM   #2
Super Moderator

thanks mark, i have been wanting to grab one of these for some time now.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:07 PM   #3

It is an excellent product, I have the SLR Zoom and it works great, and will support my ef 70-300mm lens. The focus is just a monster, great for even heavier bodies and lenses.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:04 PM   #4

Hards, you really should. You'll love it!

Shoturtle, have you had any issue with the joints loosening with age? That's been my one concern but as I noted in my review I've so far noticed no plastic dust (a telltale sign of plastic part wear) or anything... I'm sure it'll last at least long enough to be worth it (heck, a year would be enough to make it well worth the price tag!)
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:46 PM   #5

After 7 months with the gorillapod slr zoom, I have not had any problems yet, but I do not man handle it.

PS,

As I travel extensively. The gorillapod is a great travel companion. It packs down small and light.
The ball head has not had any issues. It just shows a little grease at the base sometimes. That is normal as I contacted joby about it when I first notice it. But if you do not want to deal with the grease seeping, get a higher end ball head.

Hards, it is really a good product worth getting if you like to travel. It makes a pretty good table tripod also.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 30, 2010 at 1:38 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 1:43 AM   #6

As noted in my review, I didn't buy the ball head, just the tripod. I'd like the ball head and may buy it, but the tripod is a useful tool even without it, believe it or not.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 1:46 AM   #7

It is a very good tool, imho. And I would buy it again without question.

I have wrapped it around a tree branch couple of times with a zoom, and it had not issues.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:32 AM   #8

I'm thinking about buying a Gorillapod SLR for travel (including hiking etc.) with my Panny FZ35. Is this a better bet than a small table tripod or inexpensive collapsible travel tripod? How stable is it when used on its own (not attached to something)?
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:41 AM   #9

For the FZ35 the gorillapod slr will be a good choice. I use on for my epl-1. And it works great for the smaller camera. I is actually very stable, more so then a table tripod. And packs better then a travel tripod. Here is a link of the gorillapod with my epl-1 mounted on it.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...9-tripods.html
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:29 PM   #10

Thanks, shoturtle. Looks like it's a good option. I don't have any tripod at the moment, and even though the Gorillapod is no replacement for a "real" tripod, it looks very versatile for travel and should be fun to experiment with. I could also get an extra plate and use it with my Canon S90 too (even though its probably bigger than that camera would need).

People seem to either love these things or find them cumbersome. I think more are in the former camp.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote