Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:36 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

for a larger camera a slik pro II or a cullmann magnsite 519. Both can be packed into a 28inch trolley suitcase. And depending on the type of bag you use. Can be strap to the base of a backpack. That is what I use. Both theses are very stable and study tripods. I had the slik, and just replaced it with the cullmann.

If you want to save a bit more weight, and willing to give up a little stability, the vanguard 204 is a bit smaller, just that the legs flex a bit under a large load.

But if you want really compact, you will want a ball head setup vs the pan head. I would just get the legs and get a good ball head. You can get the cullmann and slik legs only and get a nice 30 ball head. That will make more compact then a pan hand. But a panhead is easier to use and adjust.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:44 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON Canada
Posts: 22
Default

thanks for that. So is the cullmann magnesite a pan head then? If not then in your opinions which pan head would you recommend that is sturdy, light and easy to strap to a back pack?
bulls3y3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:51 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

Yes it is a pan head, I like it that I can invert the center tube with the head, and put it into the lens to make it more compact. I strap it to the base of my canon backpack when I go hiking. It does not come with a case, so I pick up a nylon one from walmart. I like that it gives you a shorter tube. I put a pan head on it, so I have both a panhead and ball head option.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:54 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON Canada
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Yes it is a pan head, I like it that I can invert the center tube with the head, and put it into the lens to make it more compact. I strap it to the base of my canon backpack when I go hiking. It does not come with a case, so I pick up a nylon one from walmart. I like that it gives you a shorter tube. I put a pan head on it, so I have both a panhead and ball head option.
So are you saying it comes with a ball head but you purchased a pan head for it?
bulls3y3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:56 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

it comes with a panhead, and I purchased a ball head for the short tube that came with the cullmann.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:01 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON Canada
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
it comes with a panhead, and I purchased a ball head for the short tube that came with the cullmann.
Thanks....any particular type of ball head I should be looking at for the short tube, or it doesn't make a difference?
bulls3y3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:06 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

It does not really matter, you can get a 30 tiffen ball head, and it will work fine. Or you can get a 550 acra swiss ball head. It comes down to features. I have a joby gorillapod slr zoom so I put the joby ball head on my cullmann, so I can use the same plates. To me as long as the head is metal, it is good to go.

http://www.adorama.com/TFBHQ8.html

http://www.adorama.com/AWMBZ1DPC.html
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:09 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON Canada
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
It does not really matter, you can get a 30 tiffen ball head, and it will work fine. Or you can get a 550 acra swiss ball head. It comes down to features. I have a joby gorillapod slr zoom so I put the joby ball head on my cullmann, so I can use the same plates. To me as long as the head is metal, it is good to go.

http://www.adorama.com/TFBHQ8.html

http://www.adorama.com/AWMBZ1DPC.html
Thanks for that
bulls3y3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:49 PM.