Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:36 PM   #11

for a larger camera a slik pro II or a cullmann magnsite 519. Both can be packed into a 28inch trolley suitcase. And depending on the type of bag you use. Can be strap to the base of a backpack. That is what I use. Both theses are very stable and study tripods. I had the slik, and just replaced it with the cullmann.

If you want to save a bit more weight, and willing to give up a little stability, the vanguard 204 is a bit smaller, just that the legs flex a bit under a large load.

But if you want really compact, you will want a ball head setup vs the pan head. I would just get the legs and get a good ball head. You can get the cullmann and slik legs only and get a nice 30 ball head. That will make more compact then a pan hand. But a panhead is easier to use and adjust.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:44 PM   #12

thanks for that. So is the cullmann magnesite a pan head then? If not then in your opinions which pan head would you recommend that is sturdy, light and easy to strap to a back pack?
bulls3y3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:51 PM   #13

Yes it is a pan head, I like it that I can invert the center tube with the head, and put it into the lens to make it more compact. I strap it to the base of my canon backpack when I go hiking. It does not come with a case, so I pick up a nylon one from walmart. I like that it gives you a shorter tube. I put a pan head on it, so I have both a panhead and ball head option.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Yes it is a pan head, I like it that I can invert the center tube with the head, and put it into the lens to make it more compact. I strap it to the base of my canon backpack when I go hiking. It does not come with a case, so I pick up a nylon one from walmart. I like that it gives you a shorter tube. I put a pan head on it, so I have both a panhead and ball head option.
So are you saying it comes with a ball head but you purchased a pan head for it?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:56 PM   #15

it comes with a panhead, and I purchased a ball head for the short tube that came with the cullmann.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:01 PM   #16

Quote:
it comes with a panhead, and I purchased a ball head for the short tube that came with the cullmann.
Thanks....any particular type of ball head I should be looking at for the short tube, or it doesn't make a difference?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:06 PM   #17

It does not really matter, you can get a 30 tiffen ball head, and it will work fine. Or you can get a 550 acra swiss ball head. It comes down to features. I have a joby gorillapod slr zoom so I put the joby ball head on my cullmann, so I can use the same plates. To me as long as the head is metal, it is good to go.

http://www.adorama.com/TFBHQ8.html

http://www.adorama.com/AWMBZ1DPC.html
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:09 AM   #18

Quote:
It does not really matter, you can get a 30 tiffen ball head, and it will work fine. Or you can get a 550 acra swiss ball head. It comes down to features. I have a joby gorillapod slr zoom so I put the joby ball head on my cullmann, so I can use the same plates. To me as long as the head is metal, it is good to go.

http://www.adorama.com/TFBHQ8.html

http://www.adorama.com/AWMBZ1DPC.html
Thanks for that