Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Dec 3, 2003, 9:17 AM   #1

Default Looking for a compact tripod for travelling with

Hi All

I'm looking to get a tripod to take on my travels, because when I was in the shop testing my camera at full zoom it was impossible to keep the picture steady! (no image stabilisation at 10x optical zoom)

The camera I have is an Olympus C740UZ. I will not be using any accessories with the camera so the tripod only has to support ~300g/ 3/4lb of weight. I started looking into this and saw a whole mess of stuff that I didn't even know existed, so excuse my ignorance here! I had believed (based on the tripods I'd seen) that the camera simply attached to the tripod by screwing on to the tripod using the tripod mounting on the camera, but now I'm thinking otherwise with all this talk about heads.

Anyways, the tripod I'm looking for needs to come to at least chest height when extended, has to fold down to 12-18inches when collapsed, it has to be cheap and only has to last a year. This isn't going to be a permanent tripod I use, just one I can take with me for a year's travelling that will help give stable pics and isn't going to be a burden to my backpack or budget. I'm not looking for the best product, but something that will stand relatively still.

Any advice?? I checked out a few of the posts here and didn't find what I was looking for, so any advice you can give would be appreciated. I'm in the UK by the way, so if you know of any products I can get easily here that would be cool, if not please suggest anything cos I can get it shipped from the US if necessary.

Thanks a lot
Lee
leefletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2003, 1:13 PM   #2

just remember that your spending your money. it sounds like you just want a throwaway. if you buy cheap you will get cheap. it will be wobbly after a short time of use. with regret then just about any $20-30US tripod would do and just handle it with care and it should do most of the job OK.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 1:13 PM   #3

just remember that your spending your money. it sounds like you just want a throwaway. if you buy cheap you will get cheap. it will be wobbly after a short time of use. with regret then just about any $30-$50US tripod would do and just handle it with care and it should do most of the job OK.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote