Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old May 13, 2010, 9:58 PM   #1

Default Manfrotto 679B Monopod?

Any feedback on the Manfrotto 679B Monopod? Seems to be the cheapest offering in this size from a well respected manufacturer. The 681B can be had for about the same price given the shipping offers. Will the Slik 350 do as well?

I'll be supporting a T2i w/ smaller lenses.

Thanks

Jim
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2010, 10:04 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i personally do not find monopods all that useful, especially with smaller lenses. i would save the money on a nice tripod.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:45 PM   #3

i use manfrotto 560b-1 monopod and absolutley adore it.

Its small enough for my active/ always going lifestyle, and can hold up my d90 and a 70-200 2.8 no problem.

The only reason i use a monopod if for stamina, or there lack of. to shoot a gripped d90 and 70-200 with a tele converter for an entire baseball/tennis/or football match would be devastating to my arms.
Old May 14, 2010, 1:32 PM   #4

Interesting- my intended use is for unobtrusive support to reduce the shutter speed in museums, or to help stabilize the shots on hikes. Not so much to stabilize a large lens or to help deal with the weight. I do need a better tripod now that I wield a dslr, so Hards comment is motivating. My wal-mart edition Velbon 5000 bought years ago was perfect for a digicam but doesn't hold a dslr as steady.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 3:10 PM   #5

If you are looking for a monopod to double as a trekking pole for hiking, take a look at REI's Hiker pole. It has a screw on top so you can mount a ball head/use it for a monopod while hiking but I don't know that it would be as useful for a museum. I find that I use it hiking but don't find it adds enough stability for low-light stuff. I get more benefit from anti-shake in low light.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 3:17 PM   #6

I use the 679b but more as support with my 120-300 2.8 lens. It's very solid - a good pole. On occasion I'll use it for indoor low light work but that's not it's primary purpose for me. It's a great top-of-the-light-monopod stick. Getting sturdier gets a lot bulkier. The problem is - a lot of the stability comes from the weight of the kit. I can keep a 1dIII and sigma 120-300 2.8 steady on it but the weight of the camera/lens helps with that stability. Without the weight, I'm not sure how well a monopod solution would work in low light.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 5:11 PM   #7

I use the 679 with the 234RC Head it works great...it is a little heavy now that I added the Tripod Feet to it but it is a great hiking pole/monopod...you don't require a ball head as the Monopod itself swivels and the 234RC works like a champ...
http://www.adorama.com/catlite.tpl?o...sku=BG3229.JPG
also the RetractableTripod Base legs/feet come as an add-on kit for later if you think it would work for you...thats what i did was add on the kit to the 679 easily...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ding_Base.html
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 5:40 PM   #8

I have the 3016 (479) with a 3229 (234RC) tilting head as well as a beefier 3230 (434SS). The 3016 is quite small (easy to carry along), yet very sturdy, and I like the tilting head because of the detachable camera plates. This is actually the reason I use the head, as I normally have more than one camera to shoot with, and it allows for effortless swapping (unscrewing a monopod to use it with 4+ cameras at one time can be aggravating, which reminds me that I need to get some more camera plates ).

I like the 3230 best though. The main reason is because Steve actually gave it to me as a gift, but also because of the SS (Self-Standing) feature. It has three tripod like "feet" that are inside the bottom. You simply unscrew the bottom, and you can fold them out.

So, to answer your question, I think the 679 will serve you well
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 1:30 PM   #9

Billy, I just bought a 679 with the 234RC swivel head and was wondering where you get your extra plates. Up here they are $30 which seems very high compared to the price of the head itself.

Jack
67DGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67DGS View Post
Billy, I just bought a 679 with the 234RC swivel head and was wondering where you get your extra plates. Up here they are $30 which seems very high compared to the price of the head itself.

Jack
Jack,

This is a bit late (sorry, I missed your reply), but you can get extra plates all over. Amazon has them for $14 or less new, and I've seen some places sell two for $25.

Here's a link to Amazon for them: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001A1RMXG/...vesdigicams-20
billy is offline   Reply With Quote