Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:34 AM   #1

Default Looking for a light Tripod for my 5D mark ii

I am looking for a light weight but sturdy Tripod for my 5D mark 2 and not to expensive. Can any anyone recommend a light weight and str
nene212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nene212 View Post
I am looking for a light weight but sturdy Tripod for my 5D mark 2 and not to expensive.
Light weight, sturdy, not expensive.

You can't have all 3. So you need to pick 2. HOW to pick two depends on how you will use the tripod. For example, in a studio you don't need light weight. Moving from house to house, sturdy isn't an issue. Outdoors is where sturdy is important. A lot depends though on what lenses you'll be using, what types of shooting (low light long exposure, macro, good light landscape) and what the terrain and weather conditions are.

You also have to consider not only the tripod legs, but also the head.

So, in what situations do you plan on using your tripod.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:32 AM   #3

There's a saying with tripods - there's light-weight, there's inexpensive and there's sturdy. You only get 2 out of 3. Decide where you want to compromise (weight/size, expense or sturdiness) and go from there. How sturdy a tripod you need depends quite a bit on the focal length of the lens as well as the weight - i.e., you need a sturdier tripod for a longer lens, you might be able to get away with a lighter, less sturdy one if your lens only goes to 200 mm.

I ended up deciding not to compromise about weight or sturdiness and saved my money to buy a Gitzo for hiking with a 300 mm lens. You may decide that you can carry heavier weights than I (as a tiny lady) can so may be able to buy something as steady but cheaper.

P.S. John and I were typing at the same time! You beat me to it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:30 PM   #4

cullmann Magnasite 519, very small and compact, about 85 dollars. A bit large look at the 525 or slik pro series the 700 is a good one also.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 4:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nene212 View Post
I am looking for a light weight but sturdy Tripod for my 5D mark 2 and not to expensive. Can any anyone recommend a light weight and str

a light weight but sturdy and not to expensive ! maybe Triopo Tripod should be fit you
susanmeiyer is offline   Reply With Quote