Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:37 PM   #1

Default 2 out of 3 combo of sturdy and inexpensive. which one?

I've been reading some of the discussions here, and the common theme is pick 2 out of 3 when it comes to tripods. The 3 being lightweight, sturdy, and inexpensive.

So, I'm looking for a sturdy and inexpensive (70-120 dollars) tripod. In what direction would you point me in? Also, I think I want the ball-head but with the ability to pan...and if there's a tripod with this setup and that can get low enough for macro, even better!

Thanks!
doorholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:39 PM   #2

doorholder,

which 2 depends on what gear you are using and how you will use the tripod. There was another thread where both mtngal and I posted the same information. Take a look at it, then provide the information that will help us help you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:26 PM   #3

most inexpensive tripod, under 40 dollars are generally not well suited for dslr and larger cameras in general. It seem like most of them are pretty much the same but with different brand put on them.

But if you want a good tripod in the 70-120 range. Depending on the camera you have. Cullmann Magnasite and nanomax are very good, they do have a short tube for macro. And are grounders. Nanomax is in the 50 dollar range, very good form megazoom cameras. The magnasite are good for dslr in the 85-100 range. Also look at the slik pro series. They are very good also.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:53 AM   #4

I'm assuming the thread you are referring to is the one about the 5D mark II person looking for a tripod?

There you posted the 3 options being: lightweight, sturdy, and inexpensive and that you can only have 2 out of those 3?

In that case, I am looking for lightweight (portable), and inexpensive ($70-120ish).

I have a Pentax K-7 with the 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses and am planning on purchasing their 100mm macro wr lens.

Based on this info, what are your recommendations?

If you need anymore info, please let me know, I wanna make sure I make the right choice.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:37 AM   #5

cullmann magnasite 519 more compact or 525 larger, or slik pro series 700 would be my picks.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 7:49 AM   #6

doorholder,
OK, now we know what equipment. Now - in what circumstances do you intend to use the tripod? Indoors or outdoors? For what type of photography? If outdoors, in what type of conditions & terrain? This is important. For example if you are on rocky terrain in high winds, a non-sturdy tripod wont work well. But if you're on good footing with no wind then it's not an issue. Will you be hiking with it? Or just carrying it from your car 20 feet?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:22 PM   #7

JohnG,

I plan on using it outdoors, specifically in North Africa where there are high winds and desert and mountainous terrain. I also plan on hiking with it.