Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:20 AM   #1

Default Used Manfrotto Deal or no deal?

I was taking photos with my brother, I have a manfrotto 755B with a RC4 ballhead. He was using a $30 tripod. I said hey I will just get you the tripod like this one. I look online WOAH did I really spedn that much? granted there is a new model 755XB I do not know the difference, but I did buy it new. Rarely, I just buy things because I need them nevermind the cost.
Anyhow I found a deal ( I think) on a the same tripod and head for $150.
Whatcha think guys? Deal or no deal?
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2010, 5:50 PM   #2

Im a gitzo user myself but not really into any aluminum tripods. Carbon fibre or bust!
There is a 785B for $70 but the ballhead needs to be more specific, RC4 is the type of qucik release that Manfrotto uses and there are many different ones from a low grade all the way up a a $300 magnesium head. The purpose of a tripod is stability, if its not firmly planted and steady then a forked tree branch will do just as good if not better.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:36 PM   #3

Here's the rub on tripods. Some people go all out to get the lightest tripod possible. But when you want to use it, they advise you to weight it down, so it doesn't shake.

So you spend the money to buy a ultra light tripod, then carry a 10 lb sand with you so you can use your ultra light tripod.

Seems like you ought to just buy a heavy tripod and lug it around. I must be missing something.........
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 12:23 AM   #4

The comparisons given are flawed the 755B $269 and the 785B $69 are different tripods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
Im a gitzo user myself but not really into any aluminum tripods. Carbon fibre or bust!
There is a 785B for $70 but the ballhead needs to be more specific, RC4 is the type of qucik release that Manfrotto uses and there are many different ones from a low grade all the way up a a $300 magnesium head. The purpose of a tripod is stability, if its not firmly planted and steady then a forked tree branch will do just as good if not better.
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post
Here's the rub on tripods. Some people go all out to get the lightest tripod possible. But when you want to use it, they advise you to weight it down, so it doesn't shake.

So you spend the money to buy a ultra light tripod, then carry a 10 lb sand with you so you can use your ultra light tripod.

Seems like you ought to just buy a heavy tripod and lug it around. I must be missing something.........
Yeah, you just carry the sack, not the sand or rocks. Or you use your camera bag, which you brought anyway.

That said, I have a Gitzo 1548, which is an old 5 series Carbon Fiber tripod. Built like a tank, but weighs about 10 lbs. Don't need to hang anything from that.

I don't see the logic in using a hanging bag in the wind. Doesn't the bag start swaying around and cause vibration to the camera?
billythek is offline   Reply With Quote