Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:56 PM   #1

Default Light, Small, and Sturdy Travel Tripod - Suggestions?

I'm looking for a light and sturdy tripod for travel.

My heaviest setup for travel will probably be:

Canon 40D (26.1oz/740g) + Sigma 50-150 (27.5oz/780g) + 1.4x converter (5oz./143g) = 58.6oz/1663g

I don't really know what I'm looking for. I'd like to keep this under $200. I may get a 60D, which would make a short tripod easier to handle with the swivel screen (I am 6'2" tall). I tentatively am considering these tripods because they have a small closed length and get pretty good reviews on Adorama:If I could get something that's even smaller when closed, and lighter -- at the same price (Nov. 11 amendment: OK, I might be willing to spend more) -- that would be great. Suggestions?

And what's best for the head? A ball-head mount like this: Flashpoint F-1 Magnesium Alloy Tripod Ball Head with Quick Release Plate (http://www.adorama.com/FPTH1.html)? How do I know whether it will fit on the tripod?

Last edited by yohy; Nov 12, 2010 at 2:11 AM. Reason: Nov. 11
yohy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:31 PM   #2

This is how you know: 1/4-20 and 3/8"
It's the standard.

Here's something to think about. I bought a nice monopod early this year (giotto). recently i got a nice tripod (manfrotto). now i realize that they use different quick release plates. i expect to get a new monopod later this year. it'll be a manfrotto and i'll check compatibility for sure.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:49 AM   #3

I just went on a trip with my Manfrotto 190XPROB - not compact, nor light. I removed the center section (with 488RC2 ball head) from the legs for packing.

You could consider the Benro Travel Angel line of tripods, they fold to about 14 inches. I would also consider a heavier capacity than the 732CY for the posibility of longer lens in the future.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:00 PM   #4

Thanks. That Benro Angel line looks nice, but the carbon fibers are expensive compared with the Manfrotto. I get that I will want something more sturdy when I get bigger equipment but... ugh, $200 already seemed a lot for a tripod. $400 just seems crazy.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:02 PM   #5

we sometimes get stuck thinking we have to be standing to use a tripod. you could sit. even on the ground. if that will suit the pictures you want to take, it opens up the possibilities. i have 3 or 4 tripods in the car all the time. some are short. some are super tall. if i'm at a picnic table i use a short one. if i'm with my car, i'll just use a bean bag on the roof. in my carry bag i always have a real little one (i keep a small gorilla-pod in there too for my p&s).
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:39 PM   #6

just remember being to light can be bad also. It make the tripod top heavy with the camera and lens. Making a bit easier to fall over in windy environments. You need to balance weight and convenience. I would look for the most compact, but put the wight of the tripod as a third concern. Compact, the tripod load are the things you will want to look for as 1 and 2.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
just remember being to light can be bad also. It make the tripod top heavy with the camera and lens. Making a bit easier to fall over in windy environments. You need to balance weight and convenience. I would look for the most compact, but put the wight of the tripod as a third concern. Compact, the tripod load are the things you will want to look for as 1 and 2.
Thanks. I agree. The title of my post is misleading: I am most interested in compactness and sturdiness, not lightness and sturdiness.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 7:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
we sometimes get stuck thinking we have to be standing to use a tripod. you could sit. even on the ground. if that will suit the pictures you want to take, it opens up the possibilities. i have 3 or 4 tripods in the car all the time. some are short. some are super tall. if i'm at a picnic table i use a short one. if i'm with my car, i'll just use a bean bag on the roof. in my carry bag i always have a real little one (i keep a small gorilla-pod in there too for my p&s).
You are right. I don't need a standing tripod. What I do need, though, is some method of researching tripods that does not require me to look at Specs for each one. I need a kayak.com for tripods.

Any suggestions on a compact-when-folded, sturdy tripod -- of sitting or standing height -- that is under $200?

Thanks in advance!

YOHY
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:49 PM   #9

This is the least expensive tripod I found on Adorama that is carbon fiber, folds to under 20", and has a ball-head:

http://www.adorama.com/BEC0681TB00.html

Does this seem like a good one to you?

Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:56 PM   #10

that is a really good tripod better the manfrot
gitzo is another good brand as good as benro