Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:10 AM   #1

Default Manfrotto 222 in portrait

Hi Chums,
I had a look at a Manfrotto 222 joystic head the other day and thought it was great. My reservation would be I take 60% of my pics in portrait and I didn't really have a good enough look to take this on board. I,m thinking the head is long so the center of balance with the camera on is going to be moved out wards quite a bit and I would think would destabilize the tripod. I have a manfrotto art 144 tripod. and a d5000 camera with at the most a 55-200 5.6 lens on it.
Anybody got some experience of using it portrait and care to share your thoughts.
Cheers Chums.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:15 AM   #2

I wouldn't trust it personally. Save up another $40 and you can get a basic Photo Clam ballhead (PC-30N) which I would definitely trust more than that joystick head.

http://reallybigcameras.com/PhotoCla...am%20Table.htm

Another option is to hit up Ebay for an L-bracket for your D5000. This would allow you to go portrait or landscape without changing the center of balance.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:57 AM   #3

I'd also recommend looking for an L-bracket, regardless of the head you get. I have a sturdy tripod and head that can handle the weight of a camera off to the side, but still prefer to use an L-bracket.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:50 AM   #4

Thanks very much DigMe and Mtngal,
I didn't realize there was a L bracket available, that sounds good. Great if I could put a qr on both sides. I could probably make one up in cast if I cant find something suitable.
Thank you both for the info. Brilliant.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:14 PM   #5

Really Right Stuff makes an L-bracket for the D5000. I only suggested Ebay because it sounds like you're shooting for lower budget and you might find a no-namer there.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...-D5000%2FD3100

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:01 PM   #6

Hi Brad, Thanks for the info, thats great. Yea I,m not bothered about names etc but would like a good one for a reasonable price.
Thanks for posting the link, that looks the business and like just the job. Much appreciated.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:11 PM   #7

Really Right Stuff is pretty expensive, but worth every penny (I have their L-bracket and QR plate). Everything is beautifully machined and brilliantly designed so that they don't interfere with the camera's function, can't recommend them enough.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:37 AM   #8

Hi mtngal,
Thank you, yes I see what your saying. I guess for me I need to weigh up what things I would use the most. I don't want to have loads of gadgets unless there going to be well used, I do need a new tripod head so I think ill have to try some out in a shop, If I can get one that will work well without the bracket I would prefer that.
I,ve only just changed from my compact to the dslr, So I,m not used to carting stuff about with me yet.
Thank you for the advice, Think I need to get in a shop and have a play with one.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000