Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:07 PM   #1

Default Tripod and Head

I am beginner at this photography thing. I recently purchased a SX30-is on sale at newegg. Thinking I would learn some of the in's and out's of this hobby on it for the next year or two then go to a beginner model DSLR.
Anyhow I have yet to get the camera but happened across a tripod on craigslist and bought it.
It says it's bogen 3001 with a 3025 head. the legs and whole tripod is in very good shape and everything is clean and works perfectly. The head is another story and seems pretty beat up and looks like it needs replaced. I only spent 5 bucks on the whole thing so I am not out to much if it's a crap model.

Question: Should I get the same head (3025) to replace it or is there a more idiot friendly model I should be looking at? Or is this whole thing just junk and I should buy a better one?

Thanks a bunch for any input.
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:46 PM   #2

I had the 3025 at one time. Some folks love 'em... I wasn't one of 'em. I was so glad when I sold it and got a decent ball-head with quick-release plate.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:12 PM   #3

there many different heads you can put on it. I am a fan of ball head with quick release. I have a 65 dollar cullmann ball head 7.3. But there are many other ones out there is all different price ranges. The stems are standardized so you do not need to be brand specific.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 5:59 AM   #4

While I use a Manfrotto, you definately want a quick release head. I think of it as the reverse - a quick attachment head. The soleplate stays permanently attached to the camera. No more fumbling around with setup - removal and screwing in the plate, just open the tripod and pop the camera on.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:35 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

I will start my search for a quick release ball head.

So I just need one with the plain 3/8 stem set up?
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:10 AM   #6

the good ones have adapter screws, so it will let you use it on the 2 standards stems on the market.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:37 PM   #7

Default Hmmm.. you could be lucky

Google what you bought.... if you don't think it's for you, try selling you won't be out of pocket...

I'm no expert, but looks as well built as most other tripods out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobert View Post
I am beginner at this photography thing. I recently purchased a SX30-is on sale at newegg. Thinking I would learn some of the in's and out's of this hobby on it for the next year or two then go to a beginner model DSLR.
Anyhow I have yet to get the camera but happened across a tripod on craigslist and bought it.
It says it's bogen 3001 with a 3025 head. the legs and whole tripod is in very good shape and everything is clean and works perfectly. The head is another story and seems pretty beat up and looks like it needs replaced. I only spent 5 bucks on the whole thing so I am not out to much if it's a crap model.

Question: Should I get the same head (3025) to replace it or is there a more idiot friendly model I should be looking at? Or is this whole thing just junk and I should buy a better one?

Thanks a bunch for any input.
Square one is offline   Reply With Quote