Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:50 PM   #1

Default I need help choosing my first tripod?

Hi, I am totally lost regarding tripods, I have been searching for info but it all seems to confusing.
What do you think of manfrotto 732CY M-Y Carbon Fiber Tripod? does it have the horizontally adjustable center column? and depending on where I search it can be with ball head or not, but can't find which one and if it is integrated or if i could change it in case i don't like it. Also quick release plate?
Unfortunatedly i don't have a good camera store around so I would have to buuy online...

Thanks a lot as always for your wonderful help
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2011, 3:44 PM   #2

Looking at Manfrotto's website, it looks like the 732 M-Y tripod line does not have center columns that can go horizontal (there's nothing in the description about it and the pictures look like there's no way to adjust it that way). It seems like they offer a whole line of 732 M-Y tripods, with different materials and different heads (some come with ball heads and some with pan/tilt). The one listed as the M-Y Carbon Fiber 732 neither shows or mentions a head in the picture (while the others do), and the material spec on the website seems to be strange for a CF tripod, so I would guess that particular model doesn't come from Manfrotto with a head.

I like the Arca Swiss type of quick release plates. I personally ended up buying Really Right Stuff QR plate and L-bracket for my camera, after having a Velbon and a Giottos QR sytem on tripods that let the camera rotate/droop when a medium weight lens was mounted on them (the Velbon would droop with a light lens).

I'm assuming that you are not planning on using a 300 or longer lens on the camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 6:44 PM   #3

Thank you. And for the moment i the heaviest i have is 55-250, although i plan on gettin the 100mm macro, sometime this year. What would you recommend that is lightweight and budget friendly?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:10 PM   #4

If you do not want to spend to much, you can get a flashpoint cf tripod from adorama. They are good and not to expensive for CF. 200 for a ball head and CF tripod.

http://www.adorama.com/FPTPF11281.html
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:20 PM   #5

Thank you. I think i am leaning toward manfrotto 190cxpro, but still deciding between 4 or 3 sections and still now idea about head. Are the joystick easier to use or should i stick with a ball head? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:23 PM   #6

ball head is easier to use, and faster to position.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
ball head is easier to use, and faster to position.
Agreed, but make sure the ball is one that moves smoothly, I tried a number of them and found that some were "jerky". I went with a Really Right Stuff BH-40, but that maybe over your budget. Steven
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:20 PM   #8

There's two things you need to think about - both weight and focal length. The longer the lens the more stable your tripod has to be - long lenses accentuate any slight movement. If you are using anything shorter than 300 you can get away with a lighter-weight tripod.

Tripod heads are personal preference items to a certain extent. I prefer a ball head as they are faster to position. Since you aren't going to be using a long lens, you can probably save money on the legs and get a better head. As I mentioned, there's nothing more frustrating than a head that isn't quite sturdy enough for your camera/lens combination.

3 or 4 sections partly depend on what you plan on doing with the tripod. In general, the fewer sections the sturdier and lighter the tripod (all else being equal). However, a 3 section tripod doesn't collapse down to as small a package. Is that important to you? If you are going to be dragging your tripod on long day-hikes you'd want something small and light. If you are going to be using it mostly indoors, then size doesn't matter much.

The Manfrotto 190 tripod seems to be very popular and well liked by their owners. The only thing I didn't particularly like about Manfrotto tripods are the leg locks, which other people love/prefer. I tried them in a store and kept pinching my thumb. Also, I used to have an old Velbon tripod that also had lever leg locks and they kept getting caught in weeds when I was shooting wildflowers. Manfrotto's levers are better in that they fold flat against the locking mechanism, a big improvement over my old, cheap Velbon. I like twist locks, as long as the sections don't actually come off (I looked at a tripod where the sections did come off in the store - I had visions of seeing a section tumble down some mountain miles from the car, but then I wanted a tripod for day hiking). Others hate twist locks, so it's a personal preference thing rather than one being superior than the other.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 7:16 AM   #9

my first was a gorillapod, i also bought the external ball head, i have gorillapod DSLR version and t2i. It simply holds longer canon kit lens with camera.
Be carefull while attaching your camera to tripod. There is a piece which is a part of tripod, you take off it from tripod and attach it to your camera first, then put the camera on tripod!
If you buy a tripod, also think to buy a remote control of your camera. I benefit a lot from this combination.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 3:35 PM   #10

One question if I am boutique 5'3 how tall would the tripod need to be?
Thank you