Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
How cold does it get where you are, the rc322 grip type looked very intersting to me too.
Until I was at a winter seminar (-20c) this year where 3 participants had them, they all froze up and failed to function.

The heads were fine again after they warmed up, but that feature makes them unusable for me.

(That and the panning issue! Which is one of my favourite methods to try wherever I go)
PeterP,
This is interesting. The coldest that I used my rig was about +40F. Did other participants ball heads work okay in the low temp?
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:37 AM   #12

Majority of participants had little or no issues, most continued to work OK or got slightly stiff.

Mine an old manfrotto ball head stiffened up, it became noticeably difficult to unlock and move. But it was usable.

Last edited by PeterP; Apr 14, 2011 at 3:02 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:55 AM   #13

Not sure this is the same with the 324/327 but on the 322 the camera does not appear centered over the heads rotational axis. It is off to one side which would make panos a bit challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniolo View Post
Interested Onserver,
I think I'm missing something. I normally level the tripod (which levels the base of the 488 ball head), then level the camera with a spirit level on the flash shoe. I believe that the camera will pan on a horizontal plane - seems to work.
I thought that the 324/327 would pan without squeezing the handle but I may be wrong.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 9:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniolo View Post
Interested Onserver,
I think I'm missing something. I normally level the tripod (which levels the base of the 488 ball head), then level the camera with a spirit level on the flash shoe. I believe that the camera will pan on a horizontal plane - seems to work.
I thought that the 324/327 would pan without squeezing the handle but I may be wrong.
I should have been more clear - sorry about that. In that you level the tripod and then do a fine adjustment on the camera, you should be ok.

What I have written before, and (I see) did not include in this particular post, is that if you are unable to level the tripod. I shoot on a lot of unlevel surfaces, and find it pretty difficult in getting the tripod level (usually in low evening light). In this case, everything will be off. If you find most of your shooting of level surfaces, just setting up the tripod - you will be fine. If however, you shoot from inclines, or from the side of trails, or...... wherever, I find it difficult to set up the tripod, adjusting and readjusting the legs to level everything out perfectly. What I do is setup the tripod, then using the ballhead to level everything out and then am able to rotate on the level plane. I also shoot mostly in the late afternoon and early evening - trying to catch the last of the light.

Sorry about the less than complete explanation....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:58 PM   #15

interested,
I understand - I also shoot dawn/dusk and am usually in a rush to set up properly. Without a level tripod the head will rotate about an inclined plane, not good. I have also shot panos without a tripod, overlapping as I pan. If lucky I get an acceptable result. Here is one (no tripod with me at the time).
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...canyon-nv.html
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 4:01 PM   #16

How about the Vanguard GH-100 Pistol Grip ball head?

IIGQ4U is offline   Reply With Quote