Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:46 AM   #1

Default Recommended ballheads around 100 tops?

Hi, what would be some recommende ball heads around us100 (the price inclusas de quick release plate).
What is the difference between the quick realeses systems some models use like some manfrottos and some benros with the arca-swiss style?

Thanks a lot and please help
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2011, 1:19 PM   #2

I'm using a Manfrotto 488rc2 ball head that I purchased off eBay. Was in great condition for $80.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 4:00 PM   #3

I use this one, it works well with my 60D and 70-300. Quick release plate, and level on the head.

http://www.adorama.com/CU40073.html
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:49 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i also have a 488rc2, and its a solid well-made no-nonsense ballhead that will give you more years of service than any tripod you put it on.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 9:17 PM   #5

Hi, what do you think about manfrotto 322rc2-327rc2? They seem easier to use, am I correct? Can I fold the tripod with the head attattched? (thinking of 190cxpro4).

Thanks i think I am starting to see the end of this
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:01 AM   #6

Before I got the 488rc2 I handled the 322 and thought that it was too big and heavy. Also the 322 does not pan for pano shots, whch I think is a fault (324/327 does pan). Today, I think I would go for the 324 or 327rc2. I have the 488 on a 190xprob and remove the shaft (with head attached) for travel. The combo is actually too large and heavy for trips so am in the market for a travel tripod.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 6:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniolo View Post
Before I got the 488rc2 I handled the 322 and thought that it was too big and heavy. Also the 322 does not pan for pano shots, whch I think is a fault (324/327 does pan). Today, I think I would go for the 324 or 327rc2. I have the 488 on a 190xprob and remove the shaft (with head attached) for travel. The combo is actually too large and heavy for trips so am in the market for a travel tripod.
I'm also looking for a travel tripod but haven't had the time to search for one yet. Please keep us posted

Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniolo View Post
I am having a hard time trying to determine how the manfrotto 324 and 327 pans in a level position...
In my opinion, none of these actually pans in a level position - in terms of setting up for a shot and then pans in a level fashion to a frame an adjoining shot.

A bit of geometry. If you set up a tripod and a head of any type, and expect to mount a camera, level the camera, and then be able to pan - in a level fashion to an adjoining shot, you need a mechanism that is able to rotate about the vertical axis (that is perpendicular to the horizontal plane).
At 3:15 of this video, they provide a demonstration of panning on a level base. Essentially, you need the ability to have the panning base above the ball head, so that you can level the camera and then pan around the vertical axis, while maintaining a level camera shot.....
Here is another one (@ about 2:20)...
There are several ways to do this, the trick is to find a cost effective one.

Last edited by interested_observer; Mar 16, 2011 at 10:57 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:06 PM   #9

How cold does it get where you are, the rc322 grip type looked very intersting to me too.
Until I was at a winter seminar (-20c) this year where 3 participants had them, they all froze up and failed to function.

The heads were fine again after they warmed up, but that feature makes them unusable for me.

(That and the panning issue! Which is one of my favourite methods to try wherever I go)
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
I am having a hard time trying to determine how the manfrotto 324 and 327 pans in a level position...
In my opinion, none of these actually pans in a level position - in terms of setting up for a shot and then pans in a level fashion to a frame an adjoining shot.

A bit of geometry. If you set up a tripod and a head of any type, and expect to mount a camera, level the camera, and then be able to pan - in a level fashion to an adjoining shot, you need a mechanism that is able to rotate about the vertical axis (that is perpendicular to the horizontal plane).
At 3:15 of this video, they provide a demonstration of panning on a level base. Essentially, you need the ability to have the panning base above the ball head, so that you can level the camera and then pan around the vertical axis, while maintaining a level camera shot.....
Here is another one (@ about 2:20)...
There are several ways to do this, the trick is to find a cost effective one.

Interested Onserver,
I think I'm missing something. I normally level the tripod (which levels the base of the 488 ball head), then level the camera with a spirit level on the flash shoe. I believe that the camera will pan on a horizontal plane - seems to work.
I thought that the 324/327 would pan without squeezing the handle but I may be wrong.