Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jan 3, 2004, 11:00 PM   #1

Default I'm looking for a taller momopod

I'll be shooting news, mostly. I don't want a tripod because I want to take up as litle space as possible, but add-on legs would be nice, but not necessary. Speaking of leg(s), I used a Bogen.Manfrotto tripod last time out, and I hated the way the legs locked. (thumbscrews, i think) I'd much rather prefer a quick-release or a ring around the leg that I could twist to adjust, the latter bieng what most of the pros around me were using.

I'm looking for a monopod that extends fully to 72 inches. I'm tall and I like having the camera at eye level.

As for price...meh. The odds are good that I can't afford carbon fiber, but any and all ideas are welcome.

I'll be putting an FZ10 on it with a TCON-17. I don't need quick-release capability as that's the only cam I'm going to worry about putting on the 'pod.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2004, 11:30 PM   #2

Hi,

When I have to, I use a Manfrotto 681 monopod with the Manfrotto 234rc head & quick release.
The pod is about 63.5 inches high and the head adds another 2.5 inches. Only really tall Manfrotto I see is the carbon one #449 at 70.5 inches but I would not like to see its cost.

The SELF-STANDING PRO MONOPOD / Cat. No: 682B looks interesting at 67.7 inches, but I have never seen one in person

Manfrotto monopods
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 2:49 PM   #3

That was my problem also. So I end unp with the automatic monopod, you squeeze the hand, it drop down at the right height , quick and practical.
Fully extended, it give you 65 1/2 “ only, but a pistol grip style head will add the extra inches needed with even more flexibility and setup speed.

Quote:
AUTOMATIC MONOPOD / Cat. No: 334B => Bogen code (USA only): 3245
The automatic, 3 section, monopod provides immediate single handed final height adjustment. Squeeze the trigger handle and the top section can be raised or lowered, release, and it locks in position. The lower two sections have a twist lock action for additional height adjustment.
The top plate has a dual 1/4" - 3/8" camera fixing screw.
SPECIFICATIONS
Maximum Height with extended center column
166 cm (65.4 inches)
Closed Length
68 cm (26.8 inches)
Maximum Load Capacity
8.0 kg (17.7 lbs)
Weight
0.5 kg (1.1 lbs)
Note: there is an error in the description, total is 3 sections, the lower (not the 2 lower) section is twist lock.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 3:10 PM   #4

Quote:
The SELF-STANDING PRO MONOPOD / Cat. No: 682B looks interesting at 67.7 inches, but I have never seen one in person
I have the 692B and love it. I only wish it collapsed a bit more than it does. Collapsed, it's still 31 inches with the head installed. But it's not too heavy, sets up easily, and the ability to use the legs really helps stabilize the horizontal movements without taking up the ground space needed for a tripod. I'm using the 3229 head with quick release plate on mine. I have a quick release plate head on my tripod as well, so I can leave the plate on the camera all the time. Really a nice convenience.

I'm 6'1" and it seems to be just the right height for me when the camera is installed. In fact, I tend to not fully extend it so that I can splay my legs outward for some added stability and see the viewfinder at eye level.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 3:53 PM   #5

Thanks so much for the advice.

So many of these look good. Looks like my next step is to hit the local shop and see if they have any of thiese in stock.

Ugh, I've got a flash and a monopod and a bag to buy...there goes another paycheck :-)
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote