Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:24 AM   #1

Default Same Question!!

Ok, I have read alot of threads about tripods & heads. I am gonna go ahead and throw out my question anyway. I have a Nikon D80 that I use to shot alot of sports indoors and out! I am using a 70-300 lens and will be moving up soon (ED AF Nikkor 80-200mm 1:2.8 D)! I would like to have a quick release for the camera. I do not feel that I need carbofiber/magnesium, as I do not want to have too take out a second morgage to get it! I have a cheeper sunpak, but I feel I ready to move up! The head is a pain in the butt cause it always is trying to un-screw from the mount. Any and all help would be appreciated? Thank you in advance, ya'lls help has been very helpful in the past!

Weedy

Last edited by Weedy; Apr 24, 2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: not finished
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:52 PM   #2

Evening Weedy,

I picked up an aluminum travel tripod a couple of years ago. The head screws on, and I have never had any problems with the head trying to unscrew itself. That said, I also found a used Manfratto 3001 that has an assembly that the head screws in to. However, it also has some locking screws that locks the head into place, thus preventing the problem of unscrewing itself.

I found the second tripod on craigslist. There are quite a few units there to be found at a wide range of prices. It might take a bit of time to find what you are looking for....

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 6:51 PM   #3

There are several manufacturers that make quick release systems that you can mount on a tripod. They tend to be more expensive than buying a less expensive head that has it's own QR system but they have the advantage of being transportable - if you replace your tripod or head for some reason, you can keep the QR system. You might look into something like that - the one I ended up buying was RRS, but they are expensive. There are other manufacturers that make plates and systems, it might work out cheaper in the short run than replacing your head and tripod.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:51 AM   #4

Little late, but thank you for the responses! I have yet to get a new tripod, but I am activley looking!!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:09 PM   #5

Just a thought, since you say your primary interest is as a sports shooter,
you might be better off with a monopod and a small QR head.

Much less expensive and very mobile to track action sports.
But does take a bit of practice to use properly.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:55 AM   #6

PeterP,

Thanks for the reply, I have a mono pod on the sunpac tripod combo. I have used it and find it is an art to get used to my book. I thought about getting just a monopod, but for my uses, I want to stick to a tripod. Thanks again.

Weedy
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:26 AM   #7

I have been looking at some of the combo units on Adorama (Tripod/head) and looking at the manufactor websites. On Adoramas website they list as being able to hold "xx" lbs, but when you look at the manufactor websites, the heads say a lot less weight they can handle. Is the max weight combined with the legs and the head or is it just the legs or head or what?? I am beating my head trying to figure this all out. As always, thank you again your help with these matters!
Old Sep 18, 2011, 5:03 PM   #8

In my experience, if the tripod (with out a head) says will hold xx lbs, then it's the combined weight of the head, camera and lens.

If the head says will hold xx pounds, then its the weight that is placed on the head - the camera and lens.

If the ad for the tripod / head combination sold together says holds xx lbs, then its the camera and lens.

If you go out and buy a stand alone tripod that says it will hold 10 pounds. Then go buy a head that states that it will hold 25 pounds. The most weight that I would put on it is 10 pounds - actually no more than 5 pounds, so that I would have plenty of margin.

If you go out and buy a stand alone tripod that says it will hold 25 pounds. Then go buy a head that states that it will hold 7 pounds. The most weight that I would put on it is 7 pounds - actually no more than 3.5 pounds, so that I would have plenty of margin.

Bottom line, always go with half the smallest number.

hope that helps....

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:49 PM   #9

Ok I havnt been around for a while but I did recently buy a tripod
I looked and looked for a camera tripod prices were outrages
then I remembered my first tripod was for a VHS Camcorder
so I started lookin and camcorder/camera tripods found a Zeikos
72" that would hold upto like 15lbs so they claimed it has a 10 year warranty w/Quick Release
It is heavy duty compared to other low priced tripods
I have a 600 to 1000 Zoom lens and it holds it and my T2i fairly steady - good enough to get some moon shots.
At max height I wouldnt expect it to be as stable as a rock but below that it's not bad and it wont break you. It's stronger than anything else I have seen in it's price range or even close to it
TechJD is offline   Reply With Quote