Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jun 19, 2011, 3:16 PM   #1

Default Arca Swiss P0 Ball head any good?

I was considering an Arca Swiss P0 ball head en Leiu of my un-used mint Arca Swiss B1. It is just too big for the shooting I do... 5DMII with 80-200 F2.8 the heaviest lens I will ever use. Just do Panos and long exposures. Cometimes will use my HasselBlad 500CM and a 50MM CFLE...

I was wondering if there is any way one can use the Really Rifgt Stuff L brackets with this head... I love my RRS PCL-1 as it has nodal alignment indicies on the clamp and on the bracket. The P0 quick release attachment and camera brackets do not....

Anyone here have any experience with the P0 head?
hassiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:03 PM   #2

Do you also have a RRS QR plate with the L bracket? If so, then you should be able to put it on the Arca Swiss ball head. I have a RRS QR plate on a Gitzo head, works great.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:12 AM   #3

Hi,

I don't own a P0, but am looking for a good deal on one. However, I've done a lot of research, corresponded with several people, and have found that it's probably a fantastic ballhead for most purposes. For starters, a link to visit is here: http://www.mu-43.com/f67/tripod-head...-p0-head-2037/

The Arca Swiss P0 ballhead comes in two flavors; with a slide-fix plate compatible system which is limited in plate options, though there are plates that can't be found easily, in the US anyway - this ballhead + clamp option costs about $300 new. Then there's the one with a 1/4" post which can be adapted to accept an arca-swiss compatible system. The link I provided above shows how this can be done, and not only that, helps provide perspective of the ballhead relative to a camera-size. Pay attention to the discussion concerning the panning knob's interference with the typical clamp knob and the recommendation for a lever clamp.

Personally, I use a Markins head, I find the markins a very nice head and I've used several high-end ballheads.

I should add that the Slidefix system is more modern, and offers auto-click and other safety features that did not exist in the original arca-swiss style clamp - such as the retention pins that require a full opening and removal.

I hope this helps.
mstaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:26 AM   #4

There are a lot of Arca Swiss compatible ball heads available. The P0 is similar in concept to my Acratech GP. On the P0, the panning unit is on top of the ball head enabling level panning, essentially the have incorporated your RRS PCL-1 in to the ball head design. mtngal is right that an RRS L bracket will work with any Arca Swiss compatible clamp. I use a Kirk with my GP, and they integrate perfectly. The key is that they all follow the AS standard and RRS does.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
There are a lot of Arca Swiss compatible ball heads available. The P0 is similar in concept to my Acratech GP. On the P0, the panning unit is on top of the ball head enabling level panning, essentially the have incorporated your RRS PCL-1 in to the ball head design. mtngal is right that an RRS L bracket will work with any Arca Swiss compatible clamp. I use a Kirk with my GP, and they integrate perfectly. The key is that they all follow the AS standard and RRS does.

The Slidefix clamp is NOT "arca swiss standard" compatible. It will NOT fit an RRS, markins plate other plate but the Slidefix type plate. It's quite a bit smaller.

Also, the P0 that comes with the slidefix clamp has things that stick up beneath that prevent easily fitting a different clamp, so if the intent is to put on an "arca swiss compatible" clamp, buy the one with the 1/4" stud because changing the clamp from the slidefix clamp to an arca swiss compatible clamp is apparently very difficult.

Last edited by mstaben; Jun 25, 2011 at 11:31 PM.
mstaben is offline   Reply With Quote