Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jul 1, 2011, 1:01 AM   #1

Default Vanguard Alta Pro

Anyone have any of the Vanguard Alta Pro Tripods? Im looking at the 263AT I like the idea of the rotating arm but I question the stability of the joint that connects the arm/pole to the legs. Looks like it would wear and break rather easily.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good, light, semi pro leg system? I would like a good sturdy tripod that would allow me to at least turn the camera upside down to get as close to the ground as possible. The ability of the legs to pivot out 180 degrees and extend quickly are also preferred.

Thanks.
Photoshop CS5
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2011, 4:19 AM   #2

I do not own it but I would not trust that tripod.
Heared about that swivling arm breaking spontaneous, destroying camera equipment on it.

Without telling what you want to do, advice is difficult. Using 200 mm or above, low shutter speeds, .... I found out through buying a wrong tripod that claims of cansupport ... kg, maximum heigth of... says NOTHING. Those swivling arms defeat the stability the legs can provide.

Stability and the amount of stability needed and provided is important.
Not wanting to go through buying whole series of tripods I researched what might work. A whole range of extension arms can be added to the tripod I posted if wanted but what I read it is better to not use them as all arms compromize stability (vibrations, even from the camera mirror).

I posted the setup I personally am looking into in:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...ens-500mm.html

Got very good reactions from one user but am still unsure if this is it.
photoaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2011, 7:36 AM   #3

If all you are looking for is a tripod that can hold a camera close to the ground, you might be better off looking for one that has a center column that can be reversed, so it holds the camera upside down in the center of the tripod. There are limitations to that arrangement (the camera is upside down and you have to figure out where all the controls are, it's awkward) and it's more limited with how you can set it up, but its far more stable than a rotating arm.

Personally, I find that I use my tripod with the center column removed and with the legs extended out to get low to the ground more than with the column reversed. I have a Gitzo Series 2 tripod which works well enough for what I do - my longest lens is 300 and I wanted something lighter and smaller than the series 3 photoadiction has.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2011, 10:28 AM   #4

I have not bought my tripod yet. Still surfing the net to find out if this is the best for me (quite expensive stuff). The more I read the more I fancy a tripod without center colum.
photoaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2011, 4:01 PM   #5

I have a Manfrotto 190XPROB, aluminum version of what is shown in the video with the same features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRx4j...eature=related

They may have released a newer model.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:58 PM   #6

I debated about one of the Vanguard units, until I researched it. I found a lot of stories about the heads falling off, and runing cameras that were attached.

So I decided on a Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod, there were no such stories of breakage, only very good reports. I have had a cheaper Manfrotto unit for several years, with no consequences. So I figured that was the best way to go. If you decide on a Manfrotto, be sure you order the extra spiked feet to go with it, another $32.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".

Last edited by Steve40; Jul 5, 2011 at 4:23 PM.
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 5:41 PM   #7

My vanguard alta pro has held up well.
I use primarily in the house or around the back yard since it is heavier aluminum. My benro CF tripods get to do the traveling
madecov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:33 AM   #8

I have both a Manfrotto and Vanguard Alta Pro tripods. I gave the Manfrotto to my son. It was junk. The Vanguard is an excellent tripod. I cant believe or heard of any stories of heads falling off. Its a sound piece of equipment and it places the camera in any position with its fold out legs and center column which extends out to any position. I paid $200 CDN for the tripod and head combo from Vanguard. No regrets.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 7:35 AM   #9

Well here it is 10 months later since my last post about the Vanguard tripod. Since that time I accidentally dropped it on the road and that put a small dent in one of the legs. That dent caused the plastic piece holding the leg in to break down and that resulted in the leg coming out if I wasnt careful. Once out it was a bugger to put back in. Well long story short, I sent it back to Vanguard for repairs. When it was returned, to my surprise, it was a brand new tripod. No questions asked. Now thats customer satisfaction. Ive used it under many conditions with the center post in all sorts of configurations and it has never damaged my camera. Its a good solid piece of equipment.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote