Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:50 PM   #1

Default Benro tripods

Hi,
Does anyone have experience with Benro tripods (Chinese knockoff Gitzo)?
I am looking at either the C2691T Travel Angel or the C2980T Transformer (not sure if this was the Flexpod of a few years ago).

I like the Travel Angel for its compactness but not sure about the 5 section legs.
I like the Transformer for its centre column which can be used vertically and horizontally - ideal for macros and difficult angles. Just not sure how stable the camera would be when used horizontally.
I plan to get a photoclam head.
Hope someone can help me make the right decision. I eliminated Gitzo on price and Manfrotto because of the flip locks and paying for the name.
Cheers Lyn
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:51 PM   #2

They are actually very nice tripods. The CF ones are excellent. But I tend to think they are really over priced, but it is high quality.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:58 PM   #3

Wow, that was quick! Yes, I am looking at CF for travel.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:29 PM   #4

I have the 4 section travel angle in aluminum. Its a good travel tripod, I like it a lot. I selected the aluminum over the CF since CF is stiffer and does not dampen the vibrations as well. The weight is about the same. I also have an older 3 section Manaffro 3001 Pro that is much heavier that I use when its really windy out or I have a heavier load on top (camera, lens and Nodal Ninja). The fewer leg sections helps.

The 5 section would pack smaller, however there is always a trade off to be made. The 4 section was the most that I personally would go in terms of leg sections.

I though about the transformer, but was afraid of tipping.

Photoclams are great. I went with the Acratech GP so that I could have a ballhead that would pan level. A panning base will not pan level unless the tripod is setup perfectly level. Something I have never been able to accomplish, so the ability to invert the GP and have it pan absolutely level was what I needed.

hope that helps.....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 6:29 PM   #5

Thank you interested observer. That is exactly the information I need to help with the decision making process.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:36 PM   #6

Default Horusbennu

Hey banksy,
I considered the Benro but I prefer the flip locks for faster setup. I recently purchased a Horusbennu 747T from a seller in Korea.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270757362059
I got this for travel as my Manfrotto 190XPROB has been a chore to pack and lug around. They also have carbon fiber, but I did not want to worry about the airline gorrilas that handle bags. Tripod is stable and has a hook at the bottom to hang your bag/weight. The legs fold over the head like the Benro. I have not seen a Benro so cannot compare quality, etc.
This is with my 70-300.
Attached Images

paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:25 PM   #7

Thanks paniolo. I will check it out. What ballhead are you using?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:33 PM   #8

another nice option are the vanguard tracker, they make a pretty nice ball head

http://www.adorama.com/VGT243AB50.html
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:06 AM   #9

banksy, the ballhead is the LX-T1 that came with the tripod (at the bottom of the link provided).

shoturtle, I don't know if the length of the Vanguard is with the head attached or not, but seems quite long to fit in a suitcase.

Last edited by paniolo; Jul 8, 2011 at 3:09 AM.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 5:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksy View Post
Hi,
Does anyone have experience with Benro tripods (Chinese knockoff Gitzo)?
I am looking at either the C2691T Travel Angel or the C2980T Transformer (not sure if this was the Flexpod of a few years ago).

I like the Travel Angel for its compactness but not sure about the 5 section legs.
I like the Transformer for its centre column which can be used vertically and horizontally - ideal for macros and difficult angles. Just not sure how stable the camera would be when used horizontally.
I plan to get a photoclam head.
Hope someone can help me make the right decision. I eliminated Gitzo on price and Manfrotto because of the flip locks and paying for the name.
Cheers Lyn

The Transformer allows one leg to be converted to a Monopod and the Flexpod has an articulated center column. ( I own both ). I have been very pleased with my Benro Tripods. While I am not a hard user, I have given them a moderate work out. So far they have held up well
madecov is offline   Reply With Quote