Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Feb 15, 2014, 6:16 PM   #11

The damage was done to the compression inserts. Mono pod can handle the weight of the camera and lens. It can't handle being slammed into the ground with every stride while being used as a hiking staff by a 60 year old guy with a bad knee. So now I have a hiking staff that can double as a mono pod in a pinch but lacks the height adjustment of a real mono pod.
ehofmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:13 PM   #12

Have you tried using a mono pod rated for higher weight? My carbon fiber mono pod can handle 35 pounds. Which is good for me so it can handle being used as a hiking staff. I'm just nervous about damaging it even though it claims to take the punishment
Weebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2014, 7:53 PM   #13

My carbon fiber mono pod actually lasted a couple of seasons before I blew out the compression sleeves. The wooden hiking staff became the solution. Quadna 71, I did not mean to hi-jack your thread but wanted to suggest another way for someone with limited woodworking skills to fashion a wooden mono pod. I went back to previous posts and saw the awesome tripod you built. That could be used as a display piece it is so nice. Well done.
ehofmann is offline   Reply With Quote