Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:30 AM   #1

Default A recommended tripod for my Canon 550D

I'm looking for a good tripod for my Canon 550D, and don't know which one to choose, as there are so many brands & models on the market.

Anyone here can recommend a good one(brand&model)?

TIA
RotemFE777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:55 AM   #2

I used a (actually 2) Manfrotto 055c's for decades before getting my current GItzo.
I believe you can get the 055 or the 190 (both good models) in either aluminium or carbon fibre now.

However as you mentioned there are many good manufacturers like Silk, Velbon, manfrotto/bogen, Induro, etc.

The tripod and head are normally sold separately on the better brands/models, though some stores will offer certain combinations of legs & head at reduced prices.
I would also look for one with a quick release clamp/plate on the head.

Just IMHO but I would avoid the all in one low cost units.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:42 AM   #3

What lens are you using? A long heavy lens will test the cheaper tripods.
Do you have a money figure? You know, a sum you will spend?
I am just an amateur photographer and bought a cheap tripod which I promptly broke while in the desert.
I then went to cowboystudio.com and bought this tripod for $45.00
Complete Alloy 4-Section Tripod with Quick-Release Plate, Ball Head, and Carrying Bag

http://www.cowboystudio.com/product_...1%20tripod.htm

I am amazed at the good quality. Check them out as they have many tripods.
Oh yes, this has a ball head and quick release included.
Good shooting whatever you pick.
No I don't work for them, I am retired and pinch my pennies.
john339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:51 AM   #4

I'm currently using the 18-55 kit lens, but probably will buy another lens in the future as this is my first DSLR. My budget is 150-200$.

Last edited by RotemFE777; Jun 1, 2012 at 4:44 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 8:26 AM   #5
NLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotemFE777 View Post
I'm looking for a good tripod for my Canon 550D, and don't know which one to choose, as there are so many brands & models on the market.

Anyone here can recommend a good one(brand&model)?

TIA
TIA, it was a few years back when I bought my tripod. I had been gifted with a $40 Walmart brand, from my brother - which didn't work out for me (much too light). I then went and paid nearly $200 for my Savage TWTG 'Twistol' grip tripod. This unit has an integrated ball head, with quick release plate, and I LOVE it. It is a rather heavy tripod that I have had no issues with. In fact, I rather appreciate its heft.

Your stated price range maxed out at $200, and I have seen this tripod selling for as low as $125. Just a thought.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLA View Post
TIA, it was a few years back when I bought my tripod. I had been gifted with a $40 Walmart brand, from my brother - which didn't work out for me (much too light). I then went and paid nearly $200 for my Savage TWTG 'Twistol' grip tripod. This unit has an integrated ball head, with quick release plate, and I LOVE it. It is a rather heavy tripod that I have had no issues with. In fact, I rather appreciate its heft.

Your stated price range maxed out at $200, and I have seen this tripod selling for as low as $125. Just a thought.
Thanks. But, TIA is not my name , it's an acronym for Thanks In Advance.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:14 PM   #7
NLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotemFE777 View Post
Thanks. But, TIA is not my name , it's an acronym for Thanks In Advance.
Dang - I sure flubbed that one, didn't I? . I thought your name was Tia (just entered with caps).

At any rate, I hope you find - or have already found - a nice tripod that you will be happy with.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:22 AM   #8

Highly recommend the Vanguard 263 with the 100 ball head. Combo pack comes in at just under $200. You wont have to buy another. Google Youtube for demos on how it works and how versatile it is.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:45 PM   #9

The big thing to do is (if at all possible) try the tripod before you buy. There's a number of things that are personal preference (leg locks being high among them) and you might be surprised at which one you end up preferring (thought I would only want flip type leg locks until I kept pinching my thumb in one). Weight is another - if weight doesn't matter you'll be able to save money by buying something other than carbon fiber (lighter and more expensive). But how much weight is too much? I was surprised when I handled a bunch of them - there was a specific weight where an ounce or two heavier it was too heavy for me, while anything that weight or lighter was fine and I noticed little difference. But then, weight was a major issue to me (which meant that $200 for legs and head wasn't enough).

Also check out heads - another personal preference. Personally I found a pan-tilt head way too fiddly for me, I much prefer a ball head. But for every person who prefers ball heads, there's another who prefers pan-tilt. The reason why many tripod manufacturers sell legs separate from heads is so someone can choose which configuration they want.

If you happen to get a tripod that you hate, don't give up on them completely. There's nothing worse than trying to use a lousy tripod, and a good one that suits you is a joy to use.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:24 AM   #10

Definitely check out the Ravelli APGL4 tripod and pistol grip ball head sold on Amazon. It sell for about $100.

I have been using one for a year now. I like it way better than my old Bogen/Manfrotto tripod. The only plastic on this set up is the levels. Everything else is metal. I have really put this thing to the test over the last year. And now all of my friends and relatives are now shooting with this tripod and ball head.

The pistol grip ball head is great. It also pans very easily and smoothly.
The best feature on this ball head is an allen head screw. Located on the back. You can tighten this screw to adjust any slop in the ball joint over the years. I have used mine daily over the last year. And have not had to tighten it at all. But I am glad it's there for future slop.

Here is the link to check it out. http://www.amazon.com/Ravelli-APGL4-...=ravelli+apgl4
stumprat is offline   Reply With Quote