Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:34 AM   #1

Default Lightest and shortest-when-folded tripod

My light Sony A5000 and its smartphone-remote-control feature make possible the use of cheap tripods the kind you might find in drugstores. I'm actually using this $20 Polaroid tripod from B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...EL_TRIPOD.html

In fact, it's the only tripod I brought with me on a recent trip to Europe to take these HDR photos:

Both are 7 shot brackets taken with Sony A5000 and Sigma 10-20mm on a Polaroid tripod, processed with Dynamic Photo HDR and Topaz Labs.

As you can see, the Polaroid is quite capable especially since my Sony A5000 lets me adjust EV values between exposures using my smartphone without me touching the camera's controls.

And at only 1 lb, the Polaroid tripod is light enough to carry everyday (even if I don't intend to use it but just in case) that I stopped using my 1.7 lb carbon-fiber Sirui anymore.

I guess my question is, the Polaroid brand not really being known as a major innovator and manufacturer of tripods, I was wondering if any of the tripod-only companies like Manfrotto, Slik, or Vanguard, etc. have similar offerings. That is, a light, 1lb-or-so, 12-inches-when-folded tripod that will go up to about 4 feet that's built to last. If not, then maybe with the proliferation of small Sony APS-C bodies -- and even the full-frame A7 line -- it's time they do.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Apr 25, 2015 at 9:41 AM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:20 AM   #2

Those came out nice. Looks like you got to see a lot on the trip.

Regarding lightest and shortest (travel) tripods. I don't think you can beat what you've got for $20. For a NEX or small mirrorless camera it's probably all you really need.
Any thoughts of replacing the head with one that uses a small swiss arca type plate?
That looks like the only downside to the system.

These seem to be very popular small, light and affordable tripods.
http://www.mefoto.com/products/help-me-choose.aspx

Im considering getting the backpacker.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2015, 11:45 AM   #3

Thank you, lomitamike.

The mefoto tripod looks really nice. It reaches a good height at 51.2 inches for a tripod that folds to just about a foot. I have seen it prominently displayed at B&H and Adorama of late and if I remember right at Javits during last year's Photo Expo in NYC. If I didn't already have my Sirui it would be a very good alternative.

I also found a tripod that folds to under a foot and weighs just about a pound (1.3 lb) by a major tripod maker but reaches a shorter height at under 40 inches -- the Vanguard Nivelo. It's also very cheap at $25. I'm just wondering if the pink color would pass for gunmetal-pink as it's not exactly the color of the alpha male that I am I don't think...

Here's another shot using the Polaroid tripod supporting my Sony A5000 and Sigma 10-24mm. It's a view from London's Sky Garden.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 12:48 PM   #4

Great shots

An even lighter tripod https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xspqslZ1jU
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:37 AM   #5

Hi, musket. I have not seen this before. Funny video. I have to try it some time. Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:43 PM   #6

Yes well they're are always ideas if look around lol
For a free screen cleaner http://www.formation-massage-stage.f...leanscreen.swf
musket is offline   Reply With Quote