Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Mar 11, 2004, 7:44 AM   #1

Default What to use when tripods are not advised?

I will be going to shoot the Cherry Blossoms in DC in 3 weeks and the group leader advised not to bring tripods because of the crowds. I would like to take a few IR shots, so can someone recommend what I could use besides a conventional tripod?

Thank you
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2004, 8:16 AM   #2

The suggestions I've seen are a monopod, someone's shoulder, a tree, poll or fence. If you can't attach the camera to something, at least lean it (or the camera) against something.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 5:47 PM   #3

What shutter speed and focal length are you planning on shooting? If is getting up to a second or so, you are likely to have serious problems without a tripod.

Try some stuff in your back yard. Bean-bag against a tree or post makes a good brace. You should also be able to figure out if you can hand-hold for the needed time by leaning against something. I've found getting my elbow against a wall/tree/post/... makes a good brace but not past 1/4sec. YMMV so do your own testing.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 6:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
The suggestions I've seen are a monopod
Having never used a monopod, how steady are they, considering they only have one leg?
Old Mar 11, 2004, 6:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
What shutter speed and focal length are you planning on shooting? If is getting up to a second or so, you are likely to have serious problems without a tripod.
Hi Bill, thank you for the suggestions.

The FZ1 does not have manual controls. I can force the shutter to stay open for a max of 8 seconds, but this is dependant on lighting conditions at the time. I have a NDx8 that I can slap on and I can also drop the ISO to 50 and that should help keep the shutter open a little longer.

As far as focal length, I'll know when I get there. I might do a few macros, but I also want to get some of DC's monuments in the picture.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 6:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrmseKpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
The suggestions I've seen are a monopod
Having never used a monopod, how steady are they, considering they only have one leg?
A lot steadier than you can handholding while standing without a brace. I have a monopod that actually has three small retractable feet that can be used taking up less than a square foot of surface area providing a bit more stability. Even a standard monopod gives significant vertical stability and, if you brace it against your thigh, pretty good horizontal stability.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 9:02 PM   #7

The most stable use of a monopod that I have found is to create sort of a tripod-like stance with your feet spread at about soulder width and the monopod leg extended in front of you making an triangle betweent the monopod foot and your two feet. To do this, you need a monopod with a tilt/swivel head (or ball head) so that you can keep the camera level and yet extend the monopod leg several feet in front of you.

I'm sufficiently wobbly that I need to press the camera against my face (I prefer to use the EVF or optical viewer rather than the LCD anyway) and my arms are close to my body; I lean slightly toward the monopod leg which locks the whole body-monopod-camera system together. For me this forms a very stable configuration (not as good as a free standing tripod of course). This technique combined with the Minolta A1's anti-shake mechanisms yields surprisingly good results.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 2:05 AM   #8

Another possible option is to carry a smallish tripod with the legs closed (collected in center); that almost makes it monopod in size for carrying through crowds; if you get a small open area you might then be able to open the legs just enough to get a bit more stability.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:27 AM   #9

I have been shooting the Cherry Blossoms for years and if you get down there early (by 7AM) enough using a tripod isn't a problem. The only place where I find it a problem even later in the day is right down by the water. I will be down there on the 27th or 28th. Maybe I'll see you there.
broisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 7:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by broisman
I have been shooting the Cherry Blossoms for years and if you get down there early (by 7AM) enough using a tripod isn't a problem. The only place where I find it a problem even later in the day is right down by the water. I will be down there on the 27th or 28th. Maybe I'll see you there.
I'll be there the 31st, so I'll miss you by a few days.

I am going at sunrise, so considering that it is before 7 AM and that it is a Wednesday, hopefully there won't be too many people out there. I am going to take my tripod and if I run into problems, I'll just use it as a monopod (as Norm suggested).